Possibly early on capsular contracture? (Photo)

Breast augmentation 1 month ago, had a hematoma complication, drained at 2-3 weeks. Now seems to look better but areola looks pulled in? Breast is also firmer on this side. Other side no complications.

One month after surgery

Someties the scar around the periareolar region can pucker. Sometimes massage helps this.  Best to ask you surgeon.  You are also early post-op and it can take several more months for the breasts to soften.

Early Contracture?

Thank you for your question, and for providing the picture.

You are very soon out from your surgery, so it is difficult to say if it is an early capsular contracture or just healing after the breast augmentation with subsequent hematoma drainage.  Having said that, a true capsular contracture typically doesn't happen only 1 month out from surgery.  Hematomas can contribute to capsular contracture if not managed, so I commend your surgeon for draining the hematoma to reduce the risk of a future contracture.  I would continue to follow closely with your doctor and follow the recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Possibly early capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your hematoma issues.  Though hematomas may contribute to a capsular contracture it also will cause that breast to be more swollen, and as a consequence, firmer than the non-affected breast.  Your pulled in areola may be more the result of the incision rather than the hematoma and I would recommend discussing possible massage to the area with your surgeon.  They can also closely follow you along to ensure appropriate continued healing or help identify an early capsular contracture if one forms.  Hope this helps.

Post Hematoma Concerns

There may be other treatment/supplement options for you as you heal to ensure that tissues soften up. You are still early in recovery so will need to wait and see over the next few months as well as follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon and report any changes.

All the best

Capsular contracture

Thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear about your post-operative hematoma. Without examining you it is difficult to provide a definitive answer, but the most likely explanation is that your increased firmness and areola appearance are due to post-op inflammation from the hematoma and it's drainage. It would be very unlikely to develop a true capsular contracture this early on following your surgery. You best course of action would be close follow-up with your surgeon to ensure a smooth recovery. 

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Yes sorry fr the serious complication. But ask for aggressive massages and external ultrasound therapy ASAP. from your surgeon to TRY to prevent a cc!

Too Early

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although you are at increased risk for CC on the side with the hematoma it is still a bit early to call it. Healing from a breast augmentation is very dynamic and now you have two breasts that had different circumstances. In my opinion, it will take about three months for the hematoma side to loosen up. Discuss breast massage and other modalities to break up the building scar tissue with your plastic surgeon.

Joshua B. Hyman, MD