What is the percentage of hair havested can be used for transplant?

Hi. I did a fue hair transplant The whole procedure for hair harvesting to implanting took around 7 hours for 800 grafts!!! My question is the doctor said that they harvested 1200 hair but could only use 800. The other were broken or something like this!! My question is it normal? Or the technician are just not experienced

Number of grafts in hair transplants

Hair transplant technicians should keep a careful count of total grafts as well as the exact numbers of 1s, 2s, 3s, etc which are further evaluated under the microscope.  Perhaps your hair was difficult to extract and they had more than normal transection (cutting some or all of follicles in one follicular unit).  That may cause lower number of hair per grafts or lower number of usable grafts. What you say is significant and is not ordinary to have that many transected hair. Please talk to your surgeon again and I am sure he can discuss with you what exactly happened.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE harvesting carry an increased risk of transection or amputation of hair follicles compared with FUT Strip surgery.

FUE harvesting carry an increased risk of transection or amputation of hair follicles compared with FUT Strip surgery.  In your case out of 1200 grafts 800 were usable.  Basically over 33% of your grafts (hairs) were wasted. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Harvesting FUE

I am not sure if you are saying that a technician did the FUE. If so, that is illegal in most states. What I believe you were hearing is that there were many transections of the grafts making them useless. This reflects poor experience and poor skills

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon