Two months ago I had a breast reduction. My boobs are still 34F. How soon can I re-operate after breast reduction?

Two months ago I had a breast reduction. I had clearly stated that I wanted to have at least 1200g removed (to go down to a B) but only 600g were removed in total. Now my boobs are still big (34F) and heavy. How soon can I re-operate to get them further reduced? I need it done before July'17, cause I'm moving abroad and don't want to find a new surgeon in a different country. I'm also wondering what possible reasons are for only taking out so little - feels like a lift, not a reduction.

Breast reduction revision

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your results.  I advise all of my patients to wait 9-12 months ideally to allow the tissues to heal and soften before major revisions.  Can a revision be performed sooner?  Absolutely.  However the tissues will be stiffer and the result could be compromised.  

Unfortunately, we are not always sucessful in communicating with our patients on the specific tissue to be removed to achieve the desired relief in back/neck pain and rashes as well as the actual appearance of the breasts.  As far as taking too little tissue and the possible reasons, I am sure your plastic surgeon removed the tissue they felt would relieve your symptoms and give you the size desired while keeping in mind safe wound healing and vascularity of the nipples.  

Most of my conversation with prospective patients is discussing the balance of the breasts with the overall body shape.  A cup size is too variable based on different bra manufacturers and also how the bra is worn by the patient.  We also have no reliable way of determining the breast cup size during surgery.  A 600 gram removal per breast is a little less than many plastic surgeon's average breast reductions but is a significant amount of tissue for many women.  So the obvious question is how to we determine how much tissue to remove.  My personal approach is based mostly on pre operative measurements and marking pattern.  I can usually give an estimate to patients but I've found myself to not be too accurate with the absolute tissue removed.  Instead my goal has been to achieve a feminine breast that matches the body habitus of the patient but err on the larger side since the breast can be further reduced but is more difficult to increase in size if the patient is over reduced.

Best Dr. L

Breast reduction revision

Sorry you are not happy with your surgery.  There is no written rule on when you can have a revision surgery.  Generally, most Plastic Surgeons use a 6 month rule to allow the breasts to settle in both size and shape.

Hope everything works out better.

Dr T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
2 months after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks. 
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Revision breast reduction

You will need to wait a good  6 months of longer for the tissues to settle before undergoing a revision. Best of luck.  

Press to believe after breast reduction surgery...

I am sorry to hear about the disappointment after breast reduction surgery.   There are no absolute rules when it comes to timing of repeat operation; a good rule of thumb however may be waiting about six months after the previous operation was performed before evaluating the outcome of the procedure performed and the possibility of additional surgery.

Although  online consultants cannot help you with specific reasons behind your plastic surgeons decision-making, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.  Afore undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important that patients communicate their size goals with their surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.