Nose completely blocked 2 weeks after rhinoplasty?

14 days ago I had my 5th revision in order to repair a collapsed nasal valve. My surgeon claimed that my issue was beyond the help of spreader grafts, and instead he performed an osteotomy with outfracture, and reduced my turbinates. 2 weeks later, my breathing is worse than ever. I understand that swelling is involved, but shouldn't I feel some improvement? If I look inside, my right nostril is completely closed; I can barely breathe through my nose at all. Is there any hope this will improve?

5th Revision Nasal Surgery

After six surgeries on the nose, there is likely to be scar tissue in the nasal cavity which will require additional time for improvement.  If any of your previous nasal surgeries were within the last year, this will also prolong your recovery time.  It is likely to still have swelling two weeks post op with the procedures you had performed.  An osteotomy with outfracture to improve the internal nasal valve sometimes needs to be stented or packed to maintain its position.  What did your surgeon tell you when you saw him/her one week post op?

When turbinate reduction is combined with rhinoplasty, nasal congestion may last for a month postoperative.

Turbinate reduction may be performed by placing an electrocautery or radiofrequency device into your turbinates, and delivering energy to dessicate the turbinate tissue. This invariably results in turbinate swelling and crusting for around a month. Wishing you well. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

At two weeks, you are likely very swollen.  Best to be patient with the results. Good luck with your results.

Thank you for your question. Some patients are able to feel improvement immediately after surgery, but with the complications you experienced in the past, you may need to wait until the swelling subsides to notice an improvement. Due to the complications you experienced in the past, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of your communication with your board certified facial plastic surgeon especially as it relates to your breathing.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon