Should I get a hair transplant after being off Accutane for a few months?

I have been on Accutane for 5 months now, I am 22 and have been experiencing hair loss since I was 17/18 but over the past 3 years its only gotten worse. I got a 800 graft hair transplant in the winter last year and it went amazing! But now I need to go back to get my temples done, which was always my plan. However, I am now on Accutane, but I will be done December 17th.

It is best to ask your surgeon about this issue. In general you should wait several months to a year before considering

It is best to ask your surgeon about this issue.  In general you should wait several months to a year before considering surgery.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Accutane

You should be completely off of accutane for at least 1 year prior to having a procedure, and at least 1 year after the procedure. 

Craig L. Ziering, DO
West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

On Accutane for 5 months

As you are on the drug Accutane, you should not have a hair transplant for at least 1 years after stopping the drug. AT 22, your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your question..

Thank you for your question. Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated, To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon