Nostril reduction, overall nose reduction possible? (photos)

Wondering if it's possible to reduce nostril size (they flare out when I smile and it seems too wide for my face) and I also want to slim out my nose and thin out the tip and make nose a little smaller. Biggest issue is how wide and big the nose appears when I smile. I think I might have thick tissue on my nose and wondering if that is an issue as well.

Wide nostrils

It appears that the nostrils are very wide and that makes the whole nose appears large.An alar plasty will certainly change the whole nose for you.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin thickness affects rhinoplasty

Based on your pictures, nostril reduction is likely possible. Specifically, the base width of your nose can be reduced to improve proportion. However, your pics also show nostril collapse, so you would likely benefit from alar batten grafts, grafts of your own cartilage to strengthen and support the nostrils. 
You should seek consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon, a plastic surgeon who has a specific interest and experience with rhinoplasty, specifically ethnic rhinoplasty. 
Good luck. Keep doing your homework. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow wide nostrils

Yes, a rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing  wide nostrils and improving the width of the nose wen patienth's  smile. Thick skin will be a significant impediment to seeing improvement, since the majority of the width of the tip is skin, not cartilage

Rhinoplasty to Correct Wide Nostrils

If you're unhappy with the structure of your nostrils, there are definitely options available for you. I recommend scheduling an in-person consultation with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon who has many years of rhinoplasty experience. We perform many rhinoplasty procedures to patients who, like you, have similar concerns, and who have noticed a significant improvement after the procedure has been done.

Nostril reduction

Hello, thank you for your question. As it seems you are unhappy with your nose and your nostril size, a consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended. For your case, you should look for a plastic surgeon that is a member of The Rhinoplasty Society. Dr. Fernau is a member of The Rhinoplasty Society and is board certified in both otolaryngology (head and face) surgery and in plastic surgery.  You are definitely a candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure and will experience incredible results if in the hands of the right doctor.

Sincerley,
Dr. Fernau, MD, FACS, member of the Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Wide nostrils

you can certainly under go a nostril reduction and refinement of your nasal tip by reshaping the cartilage in your tip.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Nostril reduction, overall nose reduction possible?

The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a  natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience. Patients with thicker skin can get a significant improvement in the appearance of the nose, but need to be realistic about the limitation of the potential result.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon