Nose narrowing rhinoplasty without dorsal hump removal? (Photo)

I like my side profile but not my front- my bridge is too wide. I have no dorsal hump and my side profile is nice and straight. It's just the front that's too wide. My question is can a bridge be narrowed without touching or manipulating the side view? and how is this done? Oestotomies/spreader grafts etc?

Narrowing the width of the nose

The basic and usual technique is to perform osteotomies to narrow the middle and upper third of your nose. This can typically be done without hump removal. However, sometimes when narrowing the width of the nose this creates a slight prominence to the dorsum that may need to be rasped at the same time. Good luck in your area. 

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Narrowing Nose without Changing Profile

The nasal bridge can be narrowed with osteotomies and repositioning of the bones without changing the profile view. There is no need for spreader grafts. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist so you achieve the desired result.

Rhinoplasty to enhance front view

Rhinoplasty can certainly affect a change in one view without significant alteration of the appearance of your nose from another view. Simply tell your surgeon what you like/dislike about your nose and indicate what changes you'd like to see. While it's difficult from the photo you provide to say exactly what method(s) would be necessary for your rhinoplasty, narrowing of the nose in front view can be nicely achieved with osteotomies, cephalic trim, and domal sutures. These techniques, when performed by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, will yield the refinements you are looking for. And make sure you have an imaging session with your surgeon just to make certain you 2 are on the same aesthetic page, so to speak. -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

The width of the bridge can be narrowed without taking away any of the height. Spreaders will make nose wider and are used in certain situations. Osteotomies are needed for sure. good luck. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing a nose

In order to reduce the width, one has to also create an open roof to allow the bones to move in.  This requires some shaving down of the two bones enough to allow the bones to come in. Medial osteotomies to fracture the bones can be done with lateral osteotomies but some rasping to file down irregularities  likely will be necessary. It can be done without seeing a significant change in the profile. 

Nose Narrowing with Rhinoplasty

Yes, your nose can be narrowed without removing the hump however you need to keep in mind that anytime you change one thing on the nose, it affects other things. So, while we can narrow the nose without removing the dorsal hump, it may raise it a few millimeters. My best advice would be for you  to schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess you in person and show you exactly what to expect.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty considerations

While it is possible to narrow the bridge with osteotomies, keep in mind that osteotomies can make the dorsum slightly higher.  Unless you have short nasal bones, I probably would not use speaders that may minimally also widen your nose. These are all good questions for you and  your surgeon to discuss.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose narrowing rhinoplasty without dorsal hump removal?

It is possible to narrow a nose without any dorsal hump removal. The bony portions would be narrowed with osteotomies.  

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nose narrowing rhinoplasty without dorsal hump removal

To narrow a wide bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. When narrowing the nasal bones, the dorsal hump will actually rise a millimeter or two, so it's important to know that the bridge line will change. It's best to look for a surgeon with extensive experience, rather trying to micro-manage the surgical techniques. Spreader grafts are used to widen the nose, not narrow it.