Explant planned, 1 year old toddler, how long until I can hold him close?

I carry my toddler around a lot and he loves to play boistrusly with me during the day. I am his primary caretaker and he prefers to spend most of his time close to me. how much time will i be able to spend with him during recovery and how long should I have a helper around after my op? When can I hold him against my chest again?

Breast implant removal

The recovery for this procedure is approximately a week.  As long as the capsules are not removed or drains placed, you should be able to cuddle with your child in about a week.  However it is best to ask this question of your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with your surgical plans.

Recovery time

Daphne,

I will go against my fellow Plastic Surgeons advice on this one.  If you are having a simple explant, then you should be able to handle and pick up yoiur toddler within 4-5 days (provided you are protecting your chest with a tight sports bra).  There is very little bleeding or concerns with a simple explant surgery.

Follow your Plastic Surgeon's advice.  Eveyone has different potoperative instructions.

Best of luck with your procedure.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Holding your Toddler After Surgery

Since you describe explant alone, I would expect you will comfortably be able to hold your toddler close in about a week post-op. The boisterous play may have to wait a little longer but everyone recovers a little differently. I would suggest you have an extra set of hands around for a week to be safe.  Best wishes. 

Erica Anderson, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Help

I would have assistance for at least 2 weeks.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Urmen Desai, MD, MPH, FACS

Explantation and recovery

You really do not want to lift anything heavy for the first several weeks, yes, and that includes a baby.  Best also to ask your surgeon.