Would an ethnic rhinoplasty alter my face significantly? (photos)

Hi all!! I am honestly considering a rhinoplasty to "fix" my humongous nose. I think i would be more attractive with a more proportionate nose. Im so confused on which direction to go or where to start. Is there a way i can try something less evasive? My nose is so unattractive and a bit uneven.

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards

A rhinoplasty can be performed to soften some of the characteristics you do not like but still maintain your  ethnicity as desired. Best of luck.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

The lower third of your nose is disprorportionally wide.I would focus on this area. If the alar cartilages have substance, they can be reduced and modified. Often, in ethnic noses, the alar cartilages are thin, and weak, so modifications does little to improve the tip. In  those cases the bulbosity is due to thick skin. Tip grafts can give some elegance to thick skin and provide proper tip projection. The alae flare, so a type III Weir resection would greatly benefit those wide nostrils.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

cherronb, you would need a rhinoplasty with alar rim surgery done so as to fit your facial features and your ethnicity. See an experienced facial specialist, make sure they are board certified and have a lot of good photos. Search the Internet and see the video. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.From what I can tell from the photographs you have posted, it appears your tip is enlarged and bulbous. You would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. You may also want to consider an alarplasty to reduce the size of your nostrils and even them out, this procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a reduction of the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD