Would radiesse be a good treatment for nasolabial folds? (Photo)

Hello- I am turning 30 this year and everything has started bothering me. For about two years I've noticed my Nasolabial folds have been deepening. I wonder if I can address my issue with radiesse? I'm afraid of fillers so young. I don't want to spend money on things that don't work because I've spent over a thousand on stretch mark "removal" treatments that have only led me to my upcoming tummy tuck surgery this November. Is it fixable or should I just live with it? Thank you.

Would radiesse be a good treatment for nasolabial folds

I prefer to use a reversible filler (such as Restylane ot Restylane Lyft)  that is designed to be positioned a little higher in the tissue than Radiesse, when treating the nasolabial folds. This allows layering of the filler, both deeper and more superficially giving a more complete natural correction. For first time filler patients the reversibility of these products can be very reassuring. However nasolabial folds tend to respond well to most fillers. Perhaps more important that which filler is used is to make sure the injector is qualified and experienced.

Santa Monica Dermatologist

Radiesse and folds-

Short answer, yes, its simple - one of the easier procedures of filling, however for a more natural look, I prefer to contour the cheek to LIFT the fold rather than FILL the fold. Radiesse, Restylane, and Juvederm can all do the same. It is the eye of the injector, and their knowledge in facial anatomy that gives the best and safest outcomes to patients. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

turning 30 this year and everything has started bothering me. Nasolabial folds deepening. Radiesse to soften.

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants), liposuction and/or facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  The smiling photo shows flat cheeks in the front with excess fat in front and below the cheeks. Smiling lifts the fat back up and on to the cheeks deepening the nasolabial folds.  These combine to create an oval shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Cheek implants would offer a permanent augmentation and can be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess fat (decreases the NLF depth) for added shaping of the cheeks.  I prefer using Restylane Lyft (previously called Perlane) for non surgical cheek augmentation as it has less lumpiness than Radiesse.

Hope this helps. 

Would radiesse be a good treatment for nasolabial folds?

An expert filler injector should be able to fill any nasolabial fold with a robust filler such as Radiesse®Juvederm®Restylane Lift®.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Radiesse for Nasolabial Folds

Although Radiesse can be a great filler for the nasolabial folds, I generally reserve it for older patients with much deeper and more severe lines than yours. Radiesse is designed to be injected deeper in the soft tissue and cannot be reversed; for these reasons, I tend to prefer hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, etc) which can be injected more superficially and can be reversed in younger patients.

Hope this helps! Sam Jejurikar, MD

Radiesse - permanent treatment for nasolabial folds?

Thank you for asking about your Radiesse.

1. You can definitely soften the nasolabial folds with Radiesse.
  2. It is not permanent - it will last about 9 months - but it does stimulate collagen so even when it wears off, a little improvement remains.
  3. If you are having a tummy tuck and have wasted money on pointless treatment in the past - all too easy to do in this age of hype and promotion - may I respectfully suggest that unless you have the cash to pay for your tummy tuck, that you have Radiesse only after your tummy tuck is paid off!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Would Radiesse be a good treatment for nasolabial folds?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your upcoming birthday!  It is wise to start using dermal fillers as part of a facial rejuvenation program that incorporates tissue hydration, skin care products, Botox and chemical peels.  Fillers lend tissue support, add missing volume, prevent tissue compression and stimulate collagen growth.  A myriad of fillers can be placed into the NLF, including Radiesse and Juvederm both of which are very effective.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation for the best treatment options.

Fillers for nasolabial folds

Almost every filler can be used in the nasolabial folds to make improvement.  The filler choice should be discussed with your physician depending on your desired results.  As a first time filler patient, generally hyaluronic acid fillers, such as restylane or juvederm, are preferable since they are able to be dissolved.   Fillers at a young age are no different than later.  In fact, fillers when young may prevent worsening and lead to longer term improvements with time.  Make sure to seek out an expert physician, avoid med-spa type places and avoid costly mistakes.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial folds

Hello. I see that you have a beautiful smile and nicely shaped cheeks. I would not recommend that you fill in the nasolabial area with Radiesse. For me the patients often come in for a consult and are concerned about the deeper lines in the smile area. When we assess their upper face and lateral face, we find that this is where we can inject Radiesse to help soften the nasolabial. From your photo it is hard to see your lateral cheek well but I would think that at your age, I would not start with either area being injected with Radiesse. You could end up with a fullness around your nose area that I don't think that you will want. I hope you find a physician that spends the time to listen to your concerns. Thank you for your question.

Fillers for nasolabial folds

Hello thereThe choice of filler is not as important as the practitioner injecting it.  That being said, I routinely use Radiesse and Juvederm products in the nasolabial folds with success.  Radiesse is usually a bit more cost effective, but not reversible and sometimes can be more palpable depending on the injection technique.  Best wishes- Dr. C

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon