Midface lift - impact on alar base?

I have seen some answers suggesting that the nose base can be wider and the eye can move up after a midface lift. Have been considering a deep plane facelift with focus on mid face and am now pretty nervous about this. I don't want to change my nose or eyes I feel ok about them.

Worried About Changing Nose Base

Thank you for your interesting question. As others have noted, a properly performed facelift should not alter the base of the nose. A procedure that is focused on the midface region may have an impact on the shape or position of the eyes. Specific concerns about this should be expressed to your plastic surgeon, who has the benefit of having personally examined your face and skin. Once you discuss this, I believe you will have the peace of mind you want before undergoing surgery. Best of luck to you.

Facelift candidate

In our practice, we perform a high-SMAS facelift procedure which rejuvenates the lateral face, not the mid face.  When the midface is flat and there is a flat cheek profile, cheek implants are usually recommended to restore volume. The midface does not descend vertically with the aging process like the lateral face does. Cheek implants are composed of Silastic and are placed  through an intraoral approach to give the required volume back to the mid face.The goal of a facelift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, tighten loose facial and neck muscles,  lift the jowls, and remove any fatty deposits in the neck.  For many examples of both procedures, please see the video and blink below

Discuss with surgeon

Your concerns can be discussed with your surgeon.
At surgery, some modifications can be made to lessen the risk of changes to your eyes or alar base.

Mid-face lift - will it change eyes and alar base?

Thank you for your question about your mid-face lift.

• Yes, an aggressive mid-face lift lift can alter the appearance of the eyes and, less often, lift the alar base.
  • Rather than abandon your plan, I suggest you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so s/he knows to avoid over-lifting.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Midface lift

I do not think that a mid face lift will impact the alar base, but it could affect the eye position a bit especially along the lateral canthus.

Facelift

Thank you for your question. An endoscopic midface lifting may be able to fulfill your aesthetic goals. This procedure lift the cheek region to create the appearance of a higher and more well-defined cheekbone. The nasolabial fold is softened. Overall, the patient has a more youthful appearance for patients concerned with the aging that has happened in these facial regions. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Impact of Midface Lift on Alar Base

A midface lift should have no impact on the alar base. Depending on the location of the incision the position of corner of the eye can be altered. Clarify exactly what your surgeon is going to do and what will change; deep plane facelifts are rarely done.

Mid-facial lifts

Dear milliemils:
I have been performing mid-facial lifts for 30 years, because standard facelifts usually do not give improvement to the nasolabial folds, and rarely enhance cheekbone contour, and I have never experienced  any alar (nasal base) distortion or "widening" of the nasal base. Eye shape and lower eyelid position are another matter. If there is a lot of laxity or loss or "tone" in the lower lids, there is a risk of distortion as the lifted elements "pull down" on the lower lids, and this may require what is termed a "canthoplasty" for the lower lid, in addition to the fixation done for the mid-facial lift. Seek out and consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience in facial cosmetic surgery, as your question represents one of the more-challenging considerations in planning your best rejuvenation outcome. Good luck!
James H. Scheu, M.D.

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Alar base

Deep plane face lifts are not performed often anymore. A midface lift with re positioning of the cheek pad via smas advancement. This technique should not change your alar position. Done properly should not move your eyes upward. make sure you see a board certified Plastic Surgeon

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Midafe lLift and Alar Base

Isolated subperiosteal midface lifts are performed less frequently than in the past for a reason.  Midfacial elevation is generally feasible with a properly performed facelift.  A deep plane facelift should not widen your alar base nor should it alter your lateral canthal angle. The critical point is to see an experienced facelift surgeon with whom you are comfortable and whose work you like.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon