What are those? Is that the masseteur? Botox teeth grinding. (photo)

Hello everyone, I would like to have my face slimmed down, recently in the last few months my face grew wider, even if my weight it's the same. I had one treatment of Botox for teeth grinding a while ago Its the part indicated with the arrow the masseteur? I feel like they are getting bigger, they were much smaller before Can they be reduced with botox? Where exactly is the masseteur? Thanks

Botox for large masseter muscles and square face

Dear Mikefiddle: You can locate your masseter muscles by clenching your teeth and feeling or seeing the muscle that pops out as a result. This muscle can be reduced in size via serial Botox injections, typically three to six months apart, and from 15 to 25 units per side. This helps people who grind their teeth and those who have a square face due to their large masseter muscles. It is an advanced technique that should be performed by a board-certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon or ENT with extensive experience and training with Botox.  All the best, Dr. Clark

Masseter reduction with Botox

Masseters can be reduced with Botox and it gives a nice v shape to the face.  The masseter muscle is used when chewing, teeth grinding or clenching.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for masseter muscle

That is where your masseter is on the one side of your face. You use your masseter muscle whenever you chew or grind your teeth, as it controls the movement of your jaw. Botox can help reduce the bulkiness of the masseter, thereby making the area and your overall face look slimmer. 

Masseter Muscle and Botox

Botox works extremely well for slimming the face.  25 units of Botox are injected directly into the masseter muscle and helps slims the face and decrease this muscle.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Masseter Botox for slimming face

The area which is highlighted is the masseter area. Botox can slim this area when injected properly. If not done properly, your smile can be affected for 3 months. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for Masseter and Jawline Slimming

Botox can slim the jaw if done properly. I suggest you see an expert for treatment this requires skill and expertise.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question Mikefiddle. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can be used in the lower face to treat the masseter, a larger muscle used for biting. In some people this muscle is very bulky and gives the lower face a square shape. Botox can be placed in the muscle to reduce the size. This will give the face more of a heart shape. Unlike most treatments where we only  try to relax the muscle, with this treatment we are trying to atrophy the muscle to make it small. This requires a higher dose and multiple treatments may be required. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Masseter muscle injection with Botox

The masseter is one of the 4 muscles of mastication (chewing) and it becomes prominent in many patients, particularly those who grind or constantly clench their teeth. When the muscle becomes bulky, it gives the face a square shape, with flaring of the posterior aspect of the jawline. This masseter bulk can be reduced with Botox injection, usually 20-25 units into each muscle giving the lower face a slimmer profile. This is one of the "facial contouring" uses of Botox.

Masseter muscle, Botox, and face slimming

There are 4 sets of muscles that move your jaw. These are the muscles of mastication, including the masseter muscle.On your photo, the red arrow is pointing toward the masseter muscle on your jaw. With teeth grinding and heavy chewing, the muscle can get larger just like going to the gym. Botox and other neuromodulators can be injected to weaken the muscle. With consistent injection sessions, the muscle can get smaller, with the side effect of slimming the face. It's important to have a consultation including an examination of your face. If your masseter muscles are already small then Botox won't help, but there may be other options safe for you. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

What are those? Is that the masseteur? Botox teeth grinding.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  The area of fullness along the back of your jaw is your masseter muscle.  This is one of the muscles responsible for helping you chew, but can become enlarged with gum chewing and teeth grinding.  Botox can be used to help atrophy the muscle, causing your face to slim down, and can even help with your teeth grinding.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation as this is not a regular injection for most botox administrators.  Hope this helps.