How long for implants to drop? (Photos)

So I am three months post op and my right implant is still very high. Apparently I have animation disformity and when I flex you can see the muscle. Will this subside and will the implant drop to match the left side?

Assymetry

Technically speaking it takes 6 months for all the swelling to go away after most surgical procedures, however in most cases the majority of the swelling after a sub pectoral breast augmentation is gone by 3 months. the mild degree of Assymetry shown in these pictures really needs to be assessed in person. No one's breasts are perfectly symmetric to begin with and some assymetries can and will be accentuated with breast implants. Animation deformity is a normal and expected consequence of sub pectoral augmentation. The only way to avoid it altogether is to put the implant above the muscle. There are definitely varying degrees of deformity but the photos provided do not allow accurate assessment of this potential problem. I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to address your concerns. Best of luck. 

3 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.Its too early to talk about results.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regardsDr. Emmanuel Mallol

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Implants Settling

Hello,It takes up to 6 months to truly see a final result from breast augmentation.  During that time, one implant might be slower than the other to settle and ultimately you may have some minor asymmetries due to existing pre op asymmetries.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and follow their post implant protocols for the best outcome.  Best of luck to you!

Ruth Celestin, MD

Implants and dropping

I usually give it 4-6 months to see where the implants finally end up.  Each breast may be slightly different because no two breast folds are the same, not two volumes are the same, etc..

Drop and fluff

The final result for a breast augmentation or Lift is never really judged until several months from the procedure.  Typically, I will wait 6 months before I assess the results.  Of course, it can be difficult to be patient while awaiting a result for such a long time, especially when you are excited.  But, keep in mind that living human tissues are different than sculpting with plastic or sewing with cloth.  Those substances are fixed and don't change much with time.  Human tissues, on the other hand, stretch, spread, settle, and change as they go through the different stages of healing.  This process takes time and as it proceeds, your result will change until the healing is completeThis is why plastic surgeons will always advise patience for the first few months after these procedures.  In the meantime, keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and he/she can assure you that things are proceeding in the right direction.You may benefit from a breast band positioned preferentially on the higher side.  This can exert a constant downward pressure that can help that implant migrated inferiorly.  As far as the animation deformity, I'm afraid that usually does not subside much with time.  Discuss the breast band with your plastic surgeon

I hope this info helps!
Best of Luck, 
Dr. Subbio
Philadelphia/Newtown Square
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

From your pictures, without a preoperative photograph to compare to its difficult to make comments about small degrees of asymmetry that may have been there preoperatively. At least from what I can see, the implants seem to be centered on the areola, and it may be your breasts that are not centered on the chest wall to begin with. Animation deformity needs to be seen and compared to the other side. A small touchup with release of some muscle, may be able to remedy that. Your plastic surgeon, who knows what was done, and has access to your preoperative photographs, would be your best resource in this issue. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

How long for implants to drop? = ask your plastic surgeon #Ba #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

Patients with questions and concerns about their breast augmentation with implants healing process should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation. 

John Mesa, MD

Implant position

Thank you for your question.At 3 months, the implants should have dropped.  The right implant is slighter higher than the left. I would contact your surgeon for an in person evaluation. In person will help them to evaluate exactly what is going on, and be more accurate than judging off of pictures. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Implant dropping and animation deformity

The breast can take months to drop for some patients so, please do not be discouraged and know that many women experience differences in healing rates or implant adaption rates for their breasts.

Also realize that implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio.

You have reached the minimum time it takes to achieve final results. However, you may benefit from waiting 3 more months (6 months total) for the final results. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

If the right implant does not drop with time, then it may be the case that the muscle attachments or the inframammary fold attachments are really strong and they may be preventing the implant from dropping completely. You may require an IMF release in the future to symmetrize the breasts if it does not get better for time.

I would like to let you know that for some of my own patients the implants had not settled until 5-12 months. With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts dropped. Patience is key!

With regards to animation deformity, know that this occurs when you flex your chest muscles is common with implants placed behind the pectoralis major muscle. Animation deformity is one of the drawbacks of submuscular implant placement that patients must be willing to ignore as this cannot always be corrected.

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

How long for implants to drop?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pockets that were created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
In cases where significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.