I'm considering having liposuction on my thighs for a smooth look. I'm I a good candidate? (photos)

Liposuction can give you well sculpted thighs...

Liposuction can give you well sculpted thighs but does not guarantee to give you smooth skin. This is because liposuction cannot correct the skin. After removing excess fat, your skin may not tighten very well. There should be added technique other than liposuction to give you the result you desire. Please consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss the best option.

Liposuction alone may not be the answer

Liposuction removes fat, but does not remove skin.  During the healing process skin may tighten somewhat, but it will vary in degree based on looseness of skin, genetics, and amount of fat removed.  One option for you may be liposuction in conjunction with a thigh lift.  This is a more invasive procedure with different scarring patterns than liposuction.  I advise a consultation with a plastic surgeon who can review the procedure in more depth to explore your personal surgical goals.

Camille Cash, MD

Liposuction to Smooth Thighs

Liposuction is an excellent technique to remove local areas of excess fat accumulation. Once the fat is removed the skin slowly contracts over the areas where the liposuction was done - up to a point. Once that limiting point is reached, the skin will no longer contract and any additional skin excess will result in wrinkles and/or waviness of the skin.

In this particular case, I believe that liposuction would actually make the contour irregularities worse. A better way to approach this situation is with a thigh/buttock lift. This operation combines skin removal with liposuction and fat removal to not only improve the overall shape and form of the thighs and buttocks but also to tighten the skin and smooth the appearance.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Leg liposuction

Liposuction alone will not give you the smooth contour you describe. Liposuction is best used to remove localized fat deposits. Sometimes the removed fat can be injected into some of the dimpled areas to help smooth them out. Consult with a PS and ask if you are a candidate for this technique. Good luck and be well.

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

Benefits of Liposuction

Your desire for a smoother look to your skin is understandable.  Unfortunately, liposuction will not achieve this.  Many patients come in to my office and pull up on the skin of their thighs to demonstrate the desired result only to be disappointed when I inform them that liposuction will not give them the results they desire.  Liposuction may be able to decrease the overall size of the thigh but be certain you speak with a board certified plastic surgeon with much experience before you make a decision about having liposuction.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate For Liposuction -- You Need To See a Body Contouring Specialist

You are a great candidate for coutouring but you want to see someone with experience.  Since you have a lot of cellulite, you need to have the procedure by someone who has experience in contouring and treating cellulite as well.  There are many options, I use a combination of multiple devices to get the ultimate results.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Smooth results after liposuction

Liposuction will not make your skin smooth.

It could easily make your skin worse.

It can, however, change the overall shape and size of your thighs.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD