2 months post op of Rhinoplasty, I still have swelling, dent and redness. Is this normal? (photos)

My nose is still swollen and red. I have a dent on one side. My Dr. Assures me it is swelling due to my thick skin. Please some input.

Swelling Two Months Post Rhinoplasty

Typically, with Rhinoplasty, it could take up to 3-4 months for the majority of swelling to subside. However, final results can take up to 6-12 months. Patients with thick skin can take much longer to see the final results. You may want to ask your plastic surgeon about a Kenalog (an anti-inflammatory steroid) injection to help decrease abnormal swelling at a faster rate.

2 months post op of Rhinoplasty, I still have swelling, dent and redness. Is this normal?

Even at 2 months post op I see serious surgical issues that can only be corrected by revision surgery. Sorry... 

Two Month Rhinoplasty Results

It is very common at just two months after rhinoplasty to have some persistent swelling, particularly in those patients with thicker nasal skin. The outcome of the indentation awaits resolution of all swelling which may improve as the surrounding tissues go down or may remain Further healing time is needed.

Rhinoplasty swelling lasts up to a year.

Rhinoplasty swelling lasts up to a year. Redness is not normal so see your surgeon to determine if u have an infection.  

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned with what you feel especially with the "swelling, dents and redness" of your nose. The post op swelling is anticipated and every patient is a little different hence the possibility of explaining what you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

Nonetheless, it is way to early to pass a judgement. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be; this time increases with patients presenting with thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

It is really difficult to make judgements about the nose at 2 months, and your surgeon is in a far better position.