What else could be done to improve my nose? (photos)

Despite being four months into my septorhinoplasty recovery, i'm still feeling uphappy about the appearance and wondered if a revision could address this. My surgeon initially advised using rib cartilage but i opted for the ear, could the rib cartilage be an option if i had further surgery? (in terms of adding more projection etc). I would be happy to stick with the same surgeon but also wondered if revisions are performed at the same price? Thanks in advance

What else could be done to improve my nose?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Revision Rhinoplasty?

HI matt92. Additional projection of your tip can be achieved with a tip graft or a caudal septal extension graft which could also improve your mild columellar retraction at the same time. You may still have some cartilage in your septum or ear for additional future grafting. If not, then rib is also an option. However it is still too early to consider a revision. Typically you should wait at least 1 year to allow for healing before considering a revision. The blood supply to your nasal tissues has already been compromised with the first surgery, and it is slowly going back to normal. Additional surgery at this time could jeopardize the healing process. If you are still unhappy at the 1 year mark, then revision is possible at that time. Good luck. 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Additional Improvement for Nose post septorhinoplasty

Each surgeon has different financial policies and beliefs regarding additional surgery for the nose. Consult with your surgeon as he understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS