I'm 20, what are my options for achieving a smaller forehead? (Photo)

Hi, im 20 years old and i've experienced a big forehead through out my whole life... I have a full set of hair and so does everybody in my family.... I see no pattern in baldness... However im concerned with my kind of hair style that i might actually be furthering my hairline, thus why i would like to get my hairline lowered ASAP to prevent having to resort to my hair style any longer... Please let me know on what options i have. I really appreciate it, thank you.

Male Hairline Lowering

You can have a forehead reduction by hairline lowering but your temporal areas are the most challenging as they will not advance as much as the central part of your hairline. In essence you will keep the frontal hairline pattern that you have now albeit lower.

Lower a high hairline in a young male

There are two options to lower a hairline. The first is hair transplantation. The second is the surgical reduction of the forehead which is done by pulling the scalp and  hairline forward. The latter approach is the most efficient and will give the greatest amount of hair almost  immediately. However, because of your age and the shape of your hairline I would recommend you not have any type of hairline surgery at this time of your life. If there are extenuating circumstances that keep you from functioning in your day-to-day existence , perhaps one of the two procedures could be considered.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lowering your hairline

lowering your hairline
although not common.  a reverse lift  or bringing your hairline forward is possible.   you will have a scar just in front of the hairline but this can be treated with single plugs if it is too visible for you

Smaller forehead

well you may want to think about hair transplantation as a first choice which will make the forehead appear smaller. or you may want to talk to a plastic surgeon and see if they can reduce the forehead and bring the hairline down. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

High hairline

You can have a forehead reduction surgery.  An incision is made at the hairline.  Dissection is done back over the top of the head so that you can move the hairline down.  A piece of the forehead is then excised.   You can usually reduce it by at least an inch.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering Surgery (forehead reduction)

It's hard to say how much of an improvement you can get without an exam, but if you have no family history of baldness, and don't have any recession, and have always had a high hairline, you could be a good candidate.  I say 'could' because you are still young and we don't know if you will recede; if you do, you may need a hair transplant to cover the scar from the hairline lowering procedure.  Also, you have deep temporal recessions that can be improved but it will not get significantly better.  A combination of a hairline lowering with a hair transplant later may be your best option. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead appearance

You really can't change the bony structure much so you are left with lowering the hairline either through hair transplants or the use of a tissue expander to increase the amount of hair bearing scalp you have available to move down. It is much easer to do hair transplants. 

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D., Ph.D.
Bethesda MD/McLean VA

Lowering one's hairline.

This can be done, but you will have an incision scar running along the front of your scalp hairs from side to side.  These can heal very well especially if part of the incision is placed slightly into the hairline.  Your brows will raise some as well.  However, I would think very carefully about having this done since you will have a recovery period and a scar, even if it heals well, where the surgery was done.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon