I used to have really large eyes. second opinion said it was ptosis, and surgery would solve it. Advice? (photos)

Ever since I turned 23 I started having eye allergies. no history of ptosis started wearing contacts in 2007 got eye allergies in 2013 when I moved to a different state Was put on steroids and eye allergies cleared up noticed drooping lid early in 2016, after a 7 months of long hours (16 hour days) on a computer got a second opinion - was treated for eye allergies and surgery for ptosis for cosmetic reasons if I wanted was recommended. Also recommended that i get lasik

Ptosis surgery

Hello.  You are correct that you have developed eyelid ptosis and surgery will fix this.  However, your surgeon must make sure a thorough work up is done before performing surgery because there may be neurologic or other systemic reasons for your ptosis--which dictate that nonsurgical treatments be pursued first.  Good luck.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis in a young patient

In a young patient with ptosis, there are neurological and autoimmune causes that need to be ruled out before surgery. It is certainly unusual to have relaxing of the muscle used to raise the eyelid in a patient under 30. The expected due diligence would be for your doctor to investigate these causes before performing surgery. Checking to see if you have myasthenia gravis or horner's syndrome are important before "looking at real before and after photos of patients". Have an oculoplastic surgeon evaluate you. That is their specialty.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

Some people who have a mild ptosis will notice that it can get worse with contact lens use.  Allergies may also make it worse.  If you can't wear contacts, get the Lasik done before any eyelid surgery.  Then see an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate your eyelid muscles to determine what surgery would be best for you.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have upper eyelid ptosis.

This may or may not be related to the contact lens use.  Lasik will definitely make your eyes more dry.  So will ptosis surgery.  If you elect to have Lasik, you should wait at least 6 months before having ptosis surgery.

Eyelid evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, you may benefit from a ptosis repair.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD