I heard that magnets are being used to help patients recover from breast augmentation. What is the purpose and how does it work?

In watching breast augmentation vlogs, a YouTuber said that magnets are a new thing with helping patients heal and that she wasn't in any pain. Just curious to see if this is prevalent and gaining more popularity.

Magnets for post-operative pain

Hi FeliciaNYC2015,

Interesting question. Electromagnetic fields have recently shown promise in reducing post-operative pain and inflammation by limiting the interleukin 1beta pathway, and there is a device on the market that looks like a circular wand. Having said that, this therapy is rarely used after breast augmentation, because the recovery is relatively easy and pain free. Good luck!

Somebody just wants to sell you a magnet!

Does it work? Who knows.  It sounds good in theory, but most women experience only a couple days of discomfort and many only use ibuprofen after surgery.  I don't see that adding a magnet will help anything.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

There are no documented medical benefits of magnets in breast augmentation recovery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Magnets and breast augmentation recovery

Thank you for your question. My.. the things you can find on Youtube!! I am unaware of the use of magnets to shorten the recovery time or relieve the pain after breast augmentation. The recovery time is typically pretty short for breast augmentation. Soreness typically lasts a few days to a week at most. My guess is that this youtuber is in the magnet selling business!!

Best Wishes,

Michael Morrissey,MD

Magnets after breast augmentation

Some 10 years ago maybe more there was a company that we did a study for that had a magnet in the shape of a circle that went over the breast and contributed to alleviation of pain after breast augmentation. I believe it was called Ivivi which was then sold to another company. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a study that showed that it was anymore efficacious in pain relief than placebo. Good luck with your anticipated surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Recovering from Breast augmentation

Hi thank you for your question. Remember it's not too hard to recover from Breast augmentation surgery. The average patient only hurts for about 1 to 2 days. There's no significant scientific evidence that magnets will help with recovery. So I don't think I would waste the time at the magnets.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Magnets and breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I am unaware of benefits to magnets and breast augmentation.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon