I feel bad that my doctor tells me I am too old for bigger breasts because I am 53. He would even do a 275cc (Photo)

He says that I already have a lot of tissue and talked about 275 cc or 300 cc too. I am the one was suggested 325 cc mentor high profile but he wanted to discourage me . I would like to have a fuller round look too like a D but not a vulgar look . We would do it under the muscle . I could not really try anything because he did not have a special sizer . I just looked at them and put them under a tee shirt . I keep reading they settle so I fear regret .

I feel bad that my doctor tells me I am too old for bigger breasts because I am 53. He would even do a 275cc

As long as you are in good health your age should not be a contraindication to breast augmentation surgery.

The appropriate size of breast implant will be determined by the measurement of the base width of your breast.

Based on your photograph I would be surprised if you were not able to have a 325 cc moderate profile plus silicone gel implant. Perhaps you should seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Assuming you are in overall good health and cleared for surgery by your primary care doctor, then your age in not an issue.

In terms of implant size, ehe size of implant is best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Size

Assuming you are in good health for surgery, size is an individual decision based on measurments and putting implants in a bra till you see the volume on your chest that you like.  Then your surgeon can choose the right profile implant for you given your anatomy.  If dissatisfied go on more consults and become informed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Graham1212,

Thank you for your story, question and photos. I can understand why you feel "bad".

I uncertain why your consultant told you were "too old" for breast enhancement.
As long as you are healthy, normal basic lab results  and receive a clearance letter from your primary care physician you should be abel to tolerate the anesthesia.

Breast appearance, size, filler material , shape and implant location is a personal choice guided by the experience of your Plastic Surgeon. Your SPECFIC breast anatomy will
dictate some of your choices.

As far as size you know all bras are not equal in "cup size" measurements.
"Cup size"is a very crude and non standardized measurement and varies by bra manufacturers. Thus actual cup size you eventually are measured at is not as important as your body proportions as it relates to your desired breast size

My specific responses are:
1)sizing:
A)Realizing there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes, purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the strap and cup size you think you want to be.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon. Therefore 10 oz. = 300cc...
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.
D)if implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... To compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for
the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

2) profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on how the actual nipple will look.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
area).
E)Cleavage is largely determined by your anatomy. This can be optimized by choosing the best profile implant and postoperative implant displacement excercises towards the midline of your chest.

3)Shape of the implant:
A) for the vast majority of cosmetic patients I recommend round implants
B) reconstructive patients shaped/form stable implants are often used

4)Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy and long term goals and benefits.

5)Filler Material
A) silicone gel feels more like breast tissue, less potential rippling, comes prefilled cannot adjust size intraoperatively and larger incisions to place compared to equal sized (non prefilled) normal saline implants.
B) normal saline implants can be adjusted in size intraoperatively, if ruptures normal saline absorbs, potential increase rippling compared to silicone gel, smaller incision to place normal saline implants as compared to prefilled silicone gel implants.

I suggest you collect several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire and schedule several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. If you are not comfortable during the communication process and/or confident that your plastic surgeon can achieve the outcome you are looking for, seek additional consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup but not a vulgar look” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

What size implants

There are several ways of "trying on" your preferred breast implants. The most common one used in our office is the Vectra 3-D imaging system. From a series of multiple photographs, a three-dimensional image of your body is made and shown on a large computer screen. Different types, shapes, and sizes of implants can then be placed and the image enhanced and compared to what you look like without implants. Secondly, the mentor sizing system allows for a shell that corresponds with an implant size to be placed over your existing breast and then placed into a bra. If you place the real implant over your breast, inside a bra, this will always over represent what that same implant will produce when placed below the muscle. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast augmentation and ask questions. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS