I had a beast reduction at 18, I am now 38 . Is it possible to get implants done?

I have scaring underneath my breast now I want implants because my breastfeeding don't look full . Can I get implants without being cut again

Breast implants incision after breast reduction

It is possible to get breast implants after breast reduction surgery. I advise my patients that to place the breast implants I would go through a small segment of the same scar that that they already have under their breasts. Hope this information helps. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

if you desire implants, then you will require a surgical incision. Many times the incisions used can be incorporated in your old incision sites.

Breast augmentation possible

Having a breast augmentation even if you’ve had a breast reduction years ago is possible. The incision may be placed under the breasts in the inframammary fold, where you currently have a scar.

Breast Agmentation Years after Breast Reduction

Surprisingly enough this situation occurs more often than one would think. Over the years we have performed many augmentations on women who had breast reductions done earlier in life. The procedure is in some respects similar to a straightforward breast augmentation, however, there are some special considerations.
Most importantly, it is extremely helpful if the plastic surgeon performing the breast augmentation has access to the operative report from the original breast reduction. A surgical breast reduction makes incisions within the breast tissue in order to remove the excess. This may affect the blood supply to the nipple. The dissection needed to perform the augmentation may also affect the nipple blood supply. Consequently, knowledge of what was done at the time of the reduction (there are several different reduction techniques) can help plan for a safe approach for the augmentation.
Typically the incision used for a breast augmentation when a previous breast reduction has been performed will be a small portion of the existing scar. NO NEW SCARS are needed. In fact at times a simultaneous scar revision of the reduction scars can be done if necessary to improve the cosmetic appearance. Sometimes other revisions/improvements may also be desired and can easily be accomplished at the same time.
For additional information about breast augmentation please see the web link below.
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.
Good luck and best wishes!

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Is it possible to get implants done after a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question. In order to get a breast augmentation an incission needs to be done to get the implants in your breasts, the incission can be done on top of the one you already have from your previous surgery. Breast augmentation is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of breasts types. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Yes, it is common many years after breast reduction and child-bearing that the breasts naturally lose volume in the upper part and gives a deflated look. Breast implants placed using an existing scar will usually give a fuller more youthful appearance. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Can I get implants after a reduction?

Thank you for your recent question! This happens often that a patient will have a reduction and come back later to have implants for a fuller upper breast.  I would reopen the incision at a smaller area to place the implants in under the breasts.  Best of luck!

Breast Augmentation after Breast Reduction

It is not rare at all to have a breast reduction that was done in the teenage years go on later in life to desire breast implants. Childbearing can wipe out what breast tissue was left, creating the need for breast augmentation. The lower inframammary scar can be used to place the breast implants.

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Your situation is very common.  Breast implants can be safely placed after a history of breast reduction in the past. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

I had a breast reduction at 18 and now at 38 I would like implants. Is it possible?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Yes it is possible to place implants after a reduction and your previous incisions can be used to prevent any further scarring.  Your older scars can even be revised if needed.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your desired goals.