Gynecomastia Surgery Next Week - Concerned about Excessive Loose Skin. Any suggestions? (photo)

Hello, I have gynocomastia surgery a week from today. My plastic surgeon told me there is a chance I will have lose skin after the procedure. My chest is not asymmetrical, my right breast is bigger than my left & has a much larger gland in it. He is going to remove the glands on both sides & perform liposuction. In your experience, how much excessive skin would you estimate will be left after this operation of the surgeon does a solid job? Any example pictures would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Loose skin after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for the question and for the photo. Gynecomastia is divided into several grades based on the amount of skin laxity and fat. From the photo you presented I don't think you have loose skin after surgery. I agree with your surgeon that removal of both glands and liposuction is the appropriate treatment. Liposuction is important especially if the desire more symmetry and a more muscular look. I wish you all the best.

Skin should look good after surgery

Based on your photo, it looks like you should get a good result without loose skin after your male breast reduction. Congratulations on taking this step! Best wishes.

Adam L. Basner, MD

Gynaecomastia Surgery

Hi there,
Good that you have made a decision and best of luck for the surgery.
You will not have any issues with lose skin. So rest easy and get ready to enjoy the new shape 

Types of Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.  The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.  Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Excess skin

Thank you for your question and photo.  After surgery, you will most likely be instructed to wear a compression garment to help with the swelling and healing process in general.  It is unlikely though that you will have to worry about having excess skin if you follow your surgeon's post-op instructions carefully.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Loose Skin After Gynecomastia Surgey

Based on your photos, I doubt that you'll have loose skin after your surgery. In someone who has relatively little excess skin and who is young with good skin contractility, excess skin after surgery would be uncommon. In the unlikely event that there is some excess skin (I'd wait at least 6 months to make that determination) you could seek out a plastic surgeon who offers Exillis which can facilitate skin contracture.

Overall, I think you'll do quite well however. For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Loose Skin After Surgery

Hi satellite43,
Thanks for the post and photo. Nothing beats an in person examination but purely based on the photo you provided I do not think you should have issues with loose skin after surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

You appear to be young and though it is impossible to tell for sure with out an in person exam....good skin tone. I would expect a good result with no "loose skin". Hope it goes well.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and the photo and from it excess skin should not be a problem particularly if a full excision is performed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD