Can my lower eyelids be elevated? (Photo)

As you can see, my lower eyelid is curved and there is a bit of scleral show below my iris. Are there any surgeries that can create a more flat, horizontal lower eyelid and bring my eyelid up? Could orbital rim implants provide my lower eyelids the necessary support to be horizontal? I notice I get the type of eye shape I desire when I squint a bit. Essentially, I want my eyes to be vertically shorter by pulling my lower eyelid up.

Doctor Answers 3

Can my lower eyelids be elevated?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, lower eyelid can be elevated but need in person evaluation. See the following link discussing almond eye surgery. Another term would lower lid retraction surgery.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Eyelid surgery to enhance appearance of lower eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You do indeed have scleral show below the inferior limbus of your eye as evidenced on your photographs.  Although this is a normal variant, the eyelids can be enhanced by elevating the eyelid margins to reduce the visible "scleral show".  The procedure is safe and effective and is usually performed without the need for general anesthesia.  Consulting with a board certified Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon will allow you to decide the best approach for "correction".  Good luck with your surgery!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Can lower eyelids be elevated?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have scleral show as a generically acquired variant.  Most of the time scleral show is seen as a consequence of lower Blepharoplasty.  This is a very correctable condition by performing a lateral Canthoplasty or a Lateral Tarsal Strip which involves making an incision just below the lash line to the outer corner of the eye and pulling up the outer corner of the eye and fixing it at a higher point this correcting the Scleral show.  You should see an experienced Facial Plastic, Plastic or Oculoplastic Surgeon to get an evaluation.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.