Doctor insists on mod plus, but I like mod profile. Is it because of my BWD?

I really want a very subtle augmentation and love the 200cc mod profile look, but the office keeps pushing me to do 250cc-275cc mod+ because they are concerned the 200cc mod+ may be too narrow. I would rather be a little smaller than I would like than a little bigger and 250-275cc mod+ appears to take girls as petite as I am about 1.5-2 cups more, which I don't want. My question is...with a BWD (self measured since I am out of town) of about 11-11.5, will I be able to fit a 200cc mod profile?

plmokn123 Little York, IN 1 day ago I really want a very subtle augmentation and love the 200cc mod profile look, but the

The difference in width between 200 cc Mod and Mod+ is very small. It may not make a difference in your case. 

Choosing breast implants

One of the top reasons for revisional breast surgery is the size of the implant. The choice can be difficult as its not a dress you can try on, its an operation you have to have. Its your body and you are in charge. If you have talked to your doctor, had an exam, seen  before and afters, and have a good feel for what you want; then your doctor should respect the process. You want to be happy, and deserve to be happy so the choice is yours. 

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Choosing the right implant for you requires an in office exam.  But if you want small then review the implant size and shape with your doc.

Figuring out the right implant size and profile

Thank you for your question.  Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size.  Through this process, you'll be able to determine the best profile for you.  Having said that, 200cc seems a bit undersized for a moderate profile with diameter of 11-11.5cm.  Double check your numbers to be sure.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

In the end, it's your body and you should get what you want. But if you pick the implant and feel the result is not adequate it will be up to you to pay full price to redo it. It's easy to go online and feel like you have all the information to make a good decision but it takes more than a few minutes reading to equal the depth of experience your surgeon has in making these types of choices. There are close to a dozen other factors that go into this decision besides simple BWD. But it's still your choice who to trust to make that decision. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

A 200 mL implant is unusually conservative and small for most frames.  You may be the exception but I would listen carefully to your plastic surgeon's advice.  My preference is to have patients describe their goal, bring in photographs that they would like to emulate and then allow me to make the implant selection during the surgical procedure when test implants or sizers can be positioned and actually viewed.  This allows me to make the selection based on the best information to achieve the patient's size and shape goals.  Watch the video above for more information.  Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD