What are the chances of retaining my nipples sensation after breast reduction?

Had a breast reduction on sept 8. Healing pretty well. 6 weeks post op and my nipples will get hard but there are no sensation in either. When my husband touches them, they do get hard but I can not feel them. I'm happy that they are responsive to touch but it would be great for me to feel it. Is this a sign that the sensitivity will come back or should I just give up on that dream now.

Nipple Sensation Following Breast Reduction

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your recent breast reduction. At six weeks post-op, your lack of nipple sensation is normal. It takes from four to six months, sometimes up to a full year, for the breasts to completely heal and any residual swelling to resolve. Therefore, it may take six to twelve months for the sensations to return to your nipples. A small percentage of women will permanently lose sensation in the nipples, however the issue is more than likely only temporary. If you have further concerns, I would recommend that you speak with your operating surgeon, who better understands your medical history and healing progression.

Nipple sensation

Most patients have normal sensation by about 1 year.  Some do lose sensation and that can range from about 5-15% at one year.

It can take time for sensation to return. Give it at least 6 months. There is no way to predict right now. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Nipple sensation

Thank you for your question. Routinely, after 6 weeks the amount of nipple sensation will be fairly stable. Although increased sensation is possible, it is not probable.

Eric E. Wegener, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon