What are the best case scenario here to keep my implants out of the contamination? (photo)

I'm on antibiotics for couple of days to avoid an infection from installing out this open contaminated wound. Am I hopeless to take the antibiotics route. Are there cases of implants being kept if the suture is contaminated?

Wound Concern

Thank you for your question and photo. Your implant may not be exposed- your Plastic Surgeon could examine you in person to determine that. When the implant is exposed it will typically have to be removed in order that you can heal completely but if this is superficial wound dehiscence and minor infection it should be treatable with antibiotics and conservative wound care. I recommend that you continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Open wound after breat augmentation: are my implants contaminated?

I cannot tell from the photo if the implant is exposed.  If the opening does not communicate with the implant pocket, then your surgeon may recommend antibiotics and/or secondary wound closure.  If the implant is exposed, then you will probably need it removed as it is technically contaminated.  Discuss with your surgeon.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

If your open wound communicates with the implant pocket and the implant is exposed, you will likely need the implant removed.

BA open wound

Thank you for your question. If your implant is not exposed there is a good chance that implant can be saved without removing. It all depending on how you are responding to antibiotics and close follow up is required.

Breast incision open

Thank you for your question. I would stress that this is a very serious issue. As long as the implant does not get exposed you should be fine. In our practice we would take you back to the OR to do everything to make sure we save that implant. The amount of protective tissue covering the implant is very small and if the implant breaks through that than the implant will have to come out. Make sure you are in close contact with your physician.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing

Call your surgeon, if the implant becomes exposed it is difficult to salvage. If it isn't exposed that wound can be debrided and closed.  Good luck, Jane

I am not sure if your implant is exposed.  Usually you would have some daring of fluid.  The best hope is that the multiple layer of closure is helping to protect your implant.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Concern for infection.

Thank you for your question and photo. Unfortunately, it appears like your implant may be already exposed. Obviously, this is difficult to say for certain without a physical examination. If only the superficial suture line is infected, and there is adequate tissue coverage between the incision and the implant, it maybe possible to salvage the implant. If the implant is exposed however, I think it would be very difficult to have success long-term. I suggest you discussed this with your surgeon. Best of luck.