How can my breasts be repaired and why did this happen? (Photo)

I had a breast lift and augmentation revision with 18 year old saline implants replaced with silicone ultra high profile textured implants., as per doctor's recommendation (I prefer smooth). The implants, especially the right, are sitting near my armpits and are too high and misplaced. My breasts appear to have dropped from under the implant placement. I have a "hump" in my right breast , as the implant continues to pop out and the breast drops. I feel disfigured with these horrific results.

Can This be Repaired?

It would be helpful to see your before photos to get a better idea of how you arrived at this unfortunate situation. Given what we can see in your photos here, it appears that you have some combination implant malposition (too high) and insufficient "lifting of your breast. The choice of an ultra high profile implant does not make sense to me, particularly when a lift is being performed at the same time. The excessive projection of the UHP implant would make it difficult to close the incisions from the breast lift, which may in part be why you appear to be insufficiently lifted.

Can this be repaired? Very likely yes. It will probably require switching your implant out for a smaller lower profile implant and re-doing your breast lift. I imagine that you have already discussed your concerns with your original surgeon but you may want to consider additional consultation with another surgeon.

Implants Too High

It would appear that the implants are too high in position. If your plastic surgeon is board certified, I would return to him/her and express your concerns. Find out what his/her thoughts are on what is going on and what your options are. If you're not completely satisfied with the answers then you should consider a second opinion.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Implants too high following breast lift

Your implants appear too high on your chest. They will need to be lowered and a revision breast lift may be indicated. The textured implants won't drop like smooth implants, this may be why the implants are too high.

Lift and augmentation

You did not mention how recent your surgery was,. It looks like you will need a revision.  I personally am not a big fan of textured implants.

Needs a revision

With your history and photographs an in person examination including your preoperative photos would be necessary for me to make any firm conclusion to what is going on.  With the same size implant and the same relatively sized breast the only way to explain the large discrepancy in size is a seroma.  Go back to your operating plastic surgeon on advise, some type of revision will probably be necessary.  Best of luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

How can my breasts be repaired and why did this happen?

In this very complex postop result case ONLY in person detailed examinations are indicated . Than a surgical revision plan can be drawn out for you.

Implant position problems

It looks like your implants are sitting higher than I would want and are somewhat asymmetric.  In addition, you look like you may need some revision of your mastopexy.  As for why this happened, it's difficult to say not knowing what you started from, how far out from surgery you are, and what your post-op course was like.  Textured implants can be stubborn and not settle or drop occasionally and this can certainly be part of the problem.  I would recommend lowering your implant placement and tightening up your skin a bit more. It also is important to rule out capsular contracture as the cause of your implant malposition.  Good luck!

Kelly Killeen, MD