Is it possible to get a breast reduction, and implants?

I have 38 dd size breasts and I want implants, but I don't want implants add onto the breasts tissue I have now because I don't want to be bigger than a dd. So I figured have them reduced to a cup size b or c, then put get implants to increase them to a d.

Possible But Tricky

Without photos or an in-person consultation, I can't comment on your specific case. However, in general, yes, it's possible for a patient to undergo both a breast reduction and breast augmentation. Although this is an uncommon approach, it can help reshape the breasts and resize them to the patient's specifications. Depending on your goals, you may undergo a single surgery during which a surgeon performs both procedures, or 2 surgeries spaced several months apart. It's very important to see a board-certified plastic surgeon, especially one who specializes in breast enhancement, to perform this surgery. Good luck to you!

Having a breast reduction with breast augmentation?

Yes, it is possible to have both of these procedures at the same time. This was originally termed a minus plus procedure. This indicates the removal of unwanted breast tissue low on the breast itself with a replacement of additional volume higher on the breast in a more desirable location. The degree to which breast cup size can be adjusted is limited with this procedure. The implant will add additional volume and you must be okay with a somewhat larger breast and with a breast reduction alone.You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast reduction plus implants

The most helpful plan for you would be to choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon who's work appeals to you and set up an in-person consultation. You will need to have a detailed discussion about the look you are after, aesthetic concerns, and options. Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you and let you know what they recommend. This could be a breast reduction or breast lift- with or without breast implants. There are many options, best discussed in person.

All the best

Breast Reduction Augmentation

A breast lift (mastopexy), in contrast, is often performed in patients with breasts that are saggy. This is a powerful procedure that can lift the nipple, remove excess skin (and sometimes breast tissue), and reshape the breasts to sit higher on the chest in a more youthful position. Unfortunately, as the breasts settle after a mastopexy, the upper pole fullness is almost always lost.

For patients like yourself, with adequately sized but sagging breasts, that desire to maintain the upper pole fullness after a lift, a breast reduction augmentation can help achieve those goals. During a reduction augmentation a small amount of breast tissue is removed and small implant is inserted under the muscle to restore this removed volume and to add upper pole fullness. The result is a lifted breast that better maintains the upper pole fullness over time. See the link below.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Maximum breast lift with minimal scarring

It is possible, however my question to you is why would you want to do that? Why would you want to trade perfectly good breast tissue for an implant that will add extra cost, maintenance, risks and complications down the line.  The Ultimate Breast Lift does not require breast implants to achieve upper pole fullness.  Breasts are reshaped and repositioned high on the chest wall for long-term results and without a vertical incision weakens the lower pole necessitating another lift in the near future.  Please view the video below and see what can now be done with current lifting techniques.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Contouring: Information

Dear Ms. Kizzy's,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately with out photos and a exam of your tissues I can can only comment based your story, however I hope you find my comments helpful.

Breast reduction is done to reduce the size of the breast. However it often leaves a lack of "upper pole" fulness.

The viscoelastic properties of skin can only support a limited amount of weight before it stretches. The adage "the bigger you are the faster you will fall" could not be more true.

In order to obtain a long term "upper pole" fulness you will need a breast implant or perhaps fat injections, not so much to increase size but create a fullness in upper breast mound.

The type of lift/ breast reduction will depend on:
1) your desired look
2) the elasticity of your breast tissue
3) the position of you nipple nipple areolar complex (NEC)
4) the size of the implant you choose

Depending on how much excess skin and desired shape the three main types:
1)Peri areolar = doughnut shaped scar around NAC
2)Vertical = lollipop shaped scar
3)Inverted "t" = anchor shaped scar

Each of the above techniques involves a progressive removal of excess skin and builds on each other to lift and contour the skin "bra" to the shape of the breast desired.
So simply stated you can revise/convert a periareolar lift to a vertical to a inverted "t" as necessary.

Scaring is always a concern. However there are various postoperative "anti scar"
programs to optimize, reduce, minimize and treat scars.
In my experience if the desired goals of shape and positioning of the NAC is obtained .... The patients rarely complain about the scars.

Unfortunately, there are no "special" techniques to achieve your desires.

I suggest you make out a list of your questions and select several nude "model" photos of what your desired goals/look would be and then schedule several different consultative appointments with experienced Plastic Surgeons who are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Perplexing request.

If you are large breasted, you need to be reduced, not augmented. It is possible that your large cup size is primarily related to drooping or sagging breasts that are not necessarily too large, but simply have too much skin. Many plastic surgeons would recommend a first stage mastopexy or breast lift to achieve a much prettier and uplifted breast appearance. If, after this procedure, you feel that you would still like to be larger, an appropriate sized implant can be inserted at a second stage. A significant mastopexy or breast lift, in combination with augmentation with breast implants, has a higher risk of complications that include wound healing, asymmetry, and capsular contracture, just to name a few. If you can achieve a satisfactory enhancement WITHOUT breast implants, that is definitely preferable for a long term stable outcome. 

Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in all aspects of breast enhancement surgery before you proceed with scheduling. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Implants

You want to stage your breast procedures. Have a lift/reduction first and let it heal for three months so you can how it looks and the tissues have time it heal. Then have the implants second. This is the only safe way to do what you want to achieve with your breasts.

Thank you for your question.Performing both a reduction to shape the breast and an augmentation (implants) at the same time to increase the size does increase the risk of complications inherent with the combined procedures. To lessen the possibility of complications and unfavorable outcomes I recommend that my patients undergo the reduction first followed by the augmentation at a later date. This helps eliminate the inherent variability that occurs when the procedures are performed together. I would make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

Breast reduction and implants

This operation is called a minus- plus. In my opinion, this procedure has a very high complication rate relative to the fact that it does cause some ischemia of the overlying skin which is then challenged by putting a large implant hopefully underneath the muscle. I would recommend that you try and find a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in this procedure. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS