Will I be able to breast feed after having breast implants with the incisions made under my areolas?

I had breast implants done 5 years ago and the incisions were done under my nipples. I have lost partial feeling on the bottom half of both of my breasts. I really want to breast feed my baby, what are my chances of me being able to and what are some complications I could face?

You should be able to breast-feed after your breast augmentation..  When the incision is made in the areola there is a slight decrease in the occurrence  of breast-feeding  and you may need to supplement with formula.  However the important bonding with the child should be fine as long as the nipple itself is not numb.

Even with your incision, chances are that you will be able to breast feed your baby. The only way to know is to try it.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast feeding after breast augmentation

I have had multiple patients breast feed after breast augmentation. Some patients can breast feed after an inferior areola incision. If you experience a lot of pain, you will probably be unable to. You will be able to pass some colostrum, early milk to the baby. Technical aspects of the full incision can effect blockage of some lacteal glands. Good luck to you and your babies...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon