What would likely be the best breast lift for me? (Photo)

I am 46 and a 32C bra size.

Vertical breast lift?

Hello Sonia. I would prefer to perform a vertical breast lift in cases with similar anatomy. Without an exam it is impossible to say what I would do for your case. A periareolar lift will lift the nipple only and not the breast. The maximum lift is 2 centimeters. You can try to get 3-4 cm but this leads to odd shape around the areola. You should consider implants for augmenting the upper pole of the breast. Without implants there's not much cleavage or upper fullness. Consider my photo gallery for different types of results and see board certified surgeons only. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Best breast lift?

The best breast lift for most women would be one that has minimal scars, doesn't require implants and is long lasting. Take a look below to see what can be accomplished with current breast lifting technology.
Best wishes and kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Likely a vertical lift

First, you look great!  The type of lift depends on your goals.  Do you want to be significantly smaller?  Are you expecting to lift the entire breast back on your chest?  Or are you looking for a more subtle improvement?  A vertical lift would work well for you, but you will still be a bit busty.  Adding a small horizontal scar may be all that is needed to reduce your size to a B or C cup.  Get a few in-person consultations with ASAPS member surgeons in your area and see what they have to say.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. There are different approaches to breast lift surgery that vary from surgeon to surgeon. Traditionally, in this country, the anchor approach has been the most common method. This places an upside down T-scar on the breast and also tends to maintain a more boxy shape that is subject to bottoming out or falling out over time. The strength of this approach is the circularity of the scar around the nipple.

More current approaches place the scar in what is referred to as a circum-vertical or lollipop position. This helps to reduce scarring and also improves the natural round shape of the breast. You actually have very naturally rounded and shapely breasts which would be very well suited  for these more current approaches. These techniques, however, can leave some gathered skin around the areola which tends to improve and resolve over time. Any method of a breast lifting can also reduce the size of your breasts if desired or perhaps a larger one of they are uneven; implants or fat grafts can also be used to increase the cup size of the breast if desired. In any case, I would recommend a full consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

What would likely be the best breast lift for me?

From your photos- it appears that you would benefit from a full lift/mastopexy in order to remove the excess skin , make your breasts perky, and address the asymmetry.

Best lift

from your photos it appears you have more tissue at the bottom of your breast. A vertical lift would be able to remove this extra tissue and tighten the skin envelope. you may want to consider an implant to help provide more upper pole fullness.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Great question, and thank you for your photo.  I recommend going with a vertical mastopexy.   You should schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon, preferably one who does this procedure often.  In the consultation, you can go over where the scars will be, and be able to see before and after photos of previous patients. Good luck.

Types of Breast Lifts

There are many different kinds of breast lifts available. A circumareolar mastopexy, which results in an incision around the nipple/areolar complex is good for a small amount of lift, usually around 3-4cm or less. It does tend to flatten out the central breast a little. A vertical mastopexy, which results in a lollipop incision (around the nipple and areola with a vertical extension from the bottom of the areola down to the breast crease) is more powerful and would better be able to lift your degree of ptosis. A vertical mastopexy, however, does not directly excise excess skin in the vertical dimension; this excess skin can be addressed to some extent by bunching up the vertical incision. If you have too much skin vertically, you may benefit from a Wise-pattern mastopexy, which results in the lollipop scar plus a scar positioned in the breast crease (anchor pattern).

Definitive determination of the best lift for you can be achieved during a consultation with a boarded plastic surgeon. If you are wanting to stay the same size, a lift is all you need. If you are wanting to add volume and/or upper pole fullness, an implant can be helpful to achieve your desired look. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

The best type of breast lift is the vertical lift because it is most effective and provides the best shape.

The best type of breast lift is a vertical lift because it is the only lift that removes extra tissue from the lower part of the breast, elevating the breast, and providing a pleasing conical shape. The only question is whether to insert breast implants simultaneously to give you more fullness up top. Breast lifts are not very good at restoring upper pole fullness, so I often use small implants simultaneously to get the best results. Do not have a lift using the old anchor scar because this type of lift tends to produces boxy, flat breasts that do not look very attractive. Be sure to view plenty of before and after photos before deciding on a surgeon. If you are pleased with what you see, that makes it more likely that you will like your result. I have attached a link to my website so you can read more and compare these procedures.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Full breast lift

Thank you for your question and photo.  It appears that you would benefit most from a full breast lift.  Because it seems that your right breast is larger than your left, you may want to consider a reduction of this breast as well to improve symmetry.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL