What's better to get breast implants or fat grafting to breast?

With a fat transfer cells may die with breast implants how many years go by before I have to get them done again

Breast implants is the way to have breast augmentation

Breast augmentation requires breast implants. Learn risks of implants. If you are willing to accept those risks you can have breast augmmentation. 

Implants Are Typically More Predicable

A more predictable way to have a larger breast is almost always going to be with an implant. The amount of fat that will live on each side is unpredictable. Additionally, fat transfer procedures to the breast may require multiple procedures to achieve a significant size difference which can become expensive. Composite breast augmentation can be done (an implant and fat transfer). The implant will give the breast more volume and the fat transfer can soften the edges of the implant, give someone more cleavage or upper pole fullness. With fat transfer, a breast augmented with fat can change size and shape with weight changes. Good luck to you!

Kahlil Andrews, MD
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

I prefer to perform breast augmentation using implants. I think that they can give a more reliable result. Often with fat, the procedure has to be repeated to get the desired result.

Implant or fat graft to breast

I do a lot of fat grafting in my practice. However, I virtually never use it for straight forward breast augmentation. Augmentation with implants is very predictable, quicker, and far less expensive. Fat grafting to the breast is very useful as an adjunctive procedure to fill out upper breast area or filling in areas in breast reconstruction cases. Hope this helps. Good luck

Breast augmentation

Breast implants are common because they are reliable and predictable. Fat grafting can be done in some cases, but it is really not the best choice for a straightforward primary aug. There is no rule about when you have to get your implants redone. I have had people with really nice results 20-30 years out. Their surgeon had retired and they came in for a check with me. The longer you go the more likely you would need some sort of revision.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast enlargement fat vs breast implant

I have been doing breast augmentation for 30 years and have found breast implants can give safe predictable natural augmentation results. Fat transfer has been a safe procedure in my hands for limited results. Fat transfer not as predictable and subject to success with the right patient. Someone who is thinner then an ideal body weight will most likely absorb the fat transferred. A larger more robust woman usually is more successful with transfer of her fat cells. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. There are pros and cons to each approach. An implant is a man-made device that will achieve the most reliable volume. However, because it is a man-made device, you can expect that at some point in your life you will have to have it removed and or replaced and with that, additional surgery and cost. Implants will also have scar tissue that does develop around them which is called a capsule, and in some situations, can create abnormal changes in shape or feel resulting in what is described as a capsular contracture. Implants also have the potential to leak which is why women with silicone gel implants require periodic evaluation and diagnostic studies.
The transfer of fat involves the concept of removing fat parcells or seeds from one part of the body and transferring them to the breast. This is a very technique dependent process and survival does vary from surgeon to surgeon and also among patients as well. Depending on the amount of preexisting volume of the breast and also other factors, there may be a loss of fat from anywhere of 30 to 50%. If fat transfer is done correctly however, once integrated into the body fat has  the potential to last a lifetime with results that are as soft and natural as your own breasts. This is something implants simply cannot compete with. The use of what is described as Brava expansion may also be utilized in order to help improve the long-term survival and the amount of fat that can be placed and retained. Finally, you do have the additional bonus of the receiving liposuction from the areas from which the fat was removed.
In any case, I would certainly seek out a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all types of these techniques. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants or fat transfer to the breasts

Thank you for the question. Fat transfer will give you a moderate increase in breast size of about 1/2 to a full cup size and it is unpredictable how much fat will remain after the transfer. However breast implants are more predictable in volume in spite of body changes with weight loss/ gain or pregnancy. Breast implants don't necessarily need to be changed unless there is a problem they can last 10, 20 sometimes 30 years!!  But remember they are not lifetime devices. The implant companies offer a 10 yr warranty to cover implant rupture. It is best to discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to get more specific advice to your needs. Good luck!Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

To augment the breast size, which is better, fat transfer or implants?

To add volume to your breasts in a reliable and safe manner, breast implants remain the best choice.  Implants are designed to last a lifetime and do not need to be replaced unless there is a problem with them ( which is a low risk).  Unfortunately, some internet  misinformation suggests that the implants last only ten years or need to be replaced in ten years.  This is not true.               Ideally, fat transfer would be a great choice, but is not nearly as reliable as an implant for adding symmetrical and even volume to your breasts.  Discuss this with your board-certified plastic surgeon and good luck

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  The most common method of enhancing a woman's breasts is still through the use of saline or silicone implants.  Depending on your desired appearance and personal opinion on the use of implants, fat grafting can be used to achieve a modest increase in breast size or can augment the results of a breast augmentation with placement into the upper portion of a woman's breasts.  I would recommend you make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  They will be able to take key breast parameters, and listen to your desired goals, helping you select the best treatment option.  Hope that this helps