Why do my breast hurt so bad ?

I got a breast augmentation saline 8 months ago and I get burning sensations on my nipples and they hurt really bad & my breas are really sensitive is this normal ??

Burning sensations 8 months postop

Hello, it is not typical to have nipple burning 8 months postop.  I would suggest contacting your plastic surgeon for an assessment.

Postoperative augmentation pain

This kind of pain should not be lingering this long. The vast majority of augmentation patient's have pain which will resolve in a few weeks, or may be a few months at most. The pain can be due to capsule formation, chronic inflammation, stretch nerves, or other causes. The important thing is that to visit with the surgeon who performed her procedure. He or she can then examine you and determine potential explanations for the cause, and potential treatments. The good news is that even chronic pain patients usually get better with time and massage. Talk to your plastic surgeon and investigate further. Best of luck!
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Post op pain following breast augmentation

The symptoms you are describing are common in the first three months following breast augmentation but not so much at eight months. Most plastic surgeons have had chronic pain patients following breast augmentation.

The difficulty here is that pain cannot be seen so it can't be removed surgically. You may try an anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxyn.  

Generally these things at work themselves out and hopefully by a year are you your symptoms will subside. 

All my best

Burning pain in nipple

From your description, it sounds like what we call neurogenic pain. We commonly see this early in the postoperative period as the stretched nerves wake up. At eight months it's a little unusual to still have this going on. For my patients, with this type of symptom, we will have them massage this area with a washcloth at least twice a day. This seems to desensitize the area over a 3 to 4 week period. I would go back to your operating plastic surgeon and asked them to examine you and get their advice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Why do my breast hurt so bad ?

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, I would recommend you contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Why do my breast hurt so bad ?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your burning pain and sensitivity.  Though these are commons symptoms in the first weeks to months after surgery, you should have had resolution or certainly dramatic improvement by 8 months.  I would voice your issues to your surgeon and be seen for an in-person examination to ensure that all is healing well.  Best wishes.