Do I need a belly button revision? (Photo)

I'm 3 weeks post op tummy tuck and I don't like the appearance of my belly button. I started out as an outie and now it looks even worse. I know I'm still in the healing stages but I don't like the way it looks already. Will it improve with time or will I need a revision in the future?

It is too early to revise anything. You need to wait 3 to 6 months for any revision. Check with your PS for his/her opinion.

Belly button revision

Thank you for your question and photograph.It is certainly too early to tell at 3 weeks post op. Your body is still healing and will continue to change over the next couple of months. I would wait until you are at least 3 months post op to re-evaluate the appearance of your belly button. If at this point you are still unhappy, I would recommend having a revision done. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a belly button revision?

At three weeks post op it is too early to consider a belly button revision. I recommend waiting at least three months. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Do I need a belly button revision?

I agree that it is too early to determine the need for a revision. Additionally, some belly buttons are flat without a deep stalk, especially some outie belly buttons. These types don't ever tend to be an "innie" even with revision.

Takes time

It is still too early and there is time for your belly button to improve. A revision would not be performed for perhaps six to twelve months after surgery in order for the tissues to mature.Hang in there.

Do I need a belly button revision?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I know waiting is one of the most difficult things to do, but at only three weeks from surgery your tissues are experiencing a significant amount of swelling that is affecting your long term results. Additionally it may take a year or longer for your scars to fully mature.  Allow yourself at least six months of recovery before critically assessing your results for the potential of a revision.  Hope this helps.