After BA - Can small open in incision cause pain? I'm having sharp, shooting, needles stabbing pain only in my left boob.

Got SX 12 days ago,My right boob feels just perfectly fine. But my left boob has a sharp, shooting,Needles Stabbing Pain around the nipples and the whole boob. It hurts and it wake me up in the middle of the night and it happens when I wake up. PS said everything seems fine and no infections. There's a small open on my left incision that still haven't close fully yet but he said it's normal. When does it go away?I expected pain but thought it would go away by now. taking Tylenol now Please HELp

Pain and breast augmentation

You did not mention where your incision was placed. It can be related and it might not be related to the location your small wound opening.

Implant infection

Implants and an opening in the wound is not a safe combination.  If the implant is exposed it is infected by definition.

Sharp Pain Post Op

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon for one side to hurt more than the other and for nerve related "stabbing/shooting" pain to occur around/under incisions for a time. If your Plastic Surgeon has seen you and determined there are no physical problems with your incision or sign of infection then this is likely nerve related and will resolve on its own soon. Continue to follow up regarding pain management and comfort measures.
All the best

Nerve Pain after Breast Augmentation

The pain you are describing is a nerve pain.  It can happen in either breast.  The reason is that all tissues are placed on stretch when a breast implant is inserted.  If your procedure was sub muscular the muscles feel like they have been worked out too much.  If over the muscle there is very little muscle discomfort.  In both cases however the nerve that supply sensation to the breast and nipple are stretched.  The sharp stabbing pain, like the sensation you have when you hit the nerve at the elbow, is how the nerve lets you know it did not like the operation.  It will get over it.  Taking a NSAID(Advil or Aleve) instead of tylenol would be better because of the anti-inflammatory actions.  But I tell my patients that you have to take it around the clock.  Sometimes little holes can appear.  Have you PS keep a close eye on it.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Pain after BA

12 days is not that long after BA surgery. open incision can be OK if it is not that deep from the skin level. the pain is not always a bad sign. pain usually improves with time. usually, on average, you will feel better at 3-4 weeks from the date of surgery.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as they know your medical history, anatomy and surgery best. If your doctor didn’t seem concerned at your follow up appointment then i would try not to worry about it and continue with your OTC medication. You are still quite early on in your recovery and you may experience different sensations throughout your recovery period such as burning and tingling. Keep an eye out for symptoms such as fever or the skin is red and/or hot to touch as this can be sign of infection and you should contact your surgeon immediately.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

The pain that you are describing is something that comes from nerves that have been stretched to accommodate the size of your implant. The small opening probably represents a spitting  suture. While these two are on the same side, they are probably unrelated. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for following up with these two issues. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS