Can non ablative fraxel help flatten and improve hypertrophic acne scars and any type of severe scars? Doctor recommended it.

Scar Treatment

For severe scarring and hypertrophic acne scars, there are three treatment options. Kenalog (steroid) injections can be used to flatten and soften the scar tissue, Vbeam (a pulse-dye laser) can be used to reduce redness, and the non-ablative Fraxel can be used to stimulate collagen and smooth out the surface of the skin. I like to do a combination of the three treatments to get the best results and usually it will require a series of treatments, spaced 4-6 weeks apart. Since each scar is different, an initial evaluation is needed to determine the best treatment options and a plan of care.

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel and Scars

Friel can definitely improve your acne scars but it would take a combination of lasers or treatments with an in office consultation to determine the best course of therapy.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel and Scars

Keloids/Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, microneedling/PRP

Fraxel can help scars, I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in lasers and scarring combination treatments.  Best, Dr. emer.

Scars and lasers

The quick answer to your question is yes but you would need a consult to look at your scar and determine what can and cannot be corrected about it.  Good luck.

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD

Scars and lasers

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD