Am I a candidate for a closed rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I'm interested in a rhinoplasty but I want to retain my ethnic nose. I want a nose that will look natural and well proportioned to my big eyes and full sized lips. Would a alar base reduction work for me or would my nasal bridge and tip need to be modified?

Alar plasty

An alar plasty alone will make a tremendous improvement in your overall ethnic nose appearance.  It is a simple procedure in can be done very easily without general anesthesia.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

cak211, I would suspect after evaluating you in person that I would recommend a rhinoplasty and alar rim surgery. I always separate the two doing the nose first and the nostrils second to maximize my ability to get them working well together. Seek the opinion of an experienced specialist that does "only faces". Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Nose

Many African American rhinoplasties could be done through a closed technique. However, the results should not compromised because of the fear of poor or visible scars. I my 36 experience with this surgery and many open rhinoplasty on African American noses I do not recall a patient who was concerned about the scars after surgery. 
It is hard to judge what exactly needs to be done based on this single view that you have posted. From this view it appears that you have a small bump that needs to be removed, the nose bones and the base needs to be narrowed differentially to correct the asymmetry. You may want to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in African American noses.
Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

AA rhinoplasty

Hello and thanks. From my experience, the best results for ethnic rhinoplasty are obtained using the open approach.  Your tip cartilage would need to be modify and manipulated. Alar base reduction is appropriate and rib cartilage for your nasal bridge. Seek an experienced BCPS.

DrBurnett#realself100

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

You can certainly benefit from an alar reduction, and it's something that can be performed as a stand-alone procedure.
Ethnic Rhinoplasty in general, requires an understanding of the nuances of Anatomy and technique that make it different from Caucasian Rhinoplasty. Most of the time the bridge of the nose needs to be raised with grafts or implants. The tip can also be refined with a variety of techniques. It will be best to have an in person consultation to understand your anatomy and wishes. 
As someone who had excellent training in both closed and open Rhinoplasty, I believe almost everything can be done via the closed approach in skilled and experienced hands. However it is much more important to work with a surgeon you trust, who has experience and good results. 

Michael Yerukhim, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

In my hands, for the amount of change you would like, I would have to say you need an open rhinoplasty. Particularly for the nasal tip work. Now the tip work is determined by what you want. I think a full nasal tip looks good on some people so it is an important discussion you need to have with your surgeon preoperatively.

Alar base reduction is an option there are scars with that procedure so you need to be aware of that. It is also important to look any other scars you have on your body which can give your surgeon an idea of how you will heal. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Either closed or open, A rhinoplasty should refine your tip, narrow your dorsum and with alar base excisions, narrow your alar base as well.  Some cartilage from your septum should be used to support your tip and add tip projection.  

Open Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.
The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel ma

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD