Am I a candidate for buccal fat removal? (Photo)

I've always disliked my round cheeks as they make me feel my face, particularly the mid face, is big and as well as round cheeks, I have wide, prominent cheekbones so that doesn't help. My round cheeks are genetic and aren't due to age or youth as they show no signs of going down and I've had them all my life and runs in my family. Am I a candidate for buccal fat removal? I'd like a thinner more oval and refined face. They and I also look too young and childlike for my age which I detest. Thanks

Am I a candidate for buccal fat removal? : Yes, you could be a candidate #buccalfat #buccalfatremoval

Fullness of the lower anterior cheeks ( "chipmunk cheeks") could be improved with buccal fat pad  Having  great cheek bones is actually an advantage for the surgery because it helps to achieve a more chiseled appearance.

Patients interested in buccal fat pad removal  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

Buccal Fat Pad Removal: The Surgical Option to Achieve A Contoured Facial Silhouette

Hello:

Thank you for your question regarding Buccal Fat Pad Removal. Genetics often play a large role in the appearance of features on our face. I have performed many Buccal Fat Pad Removal surgeries in my New York City office over the years. And your dislike of the fullness of your face is not an uncommon complaint I hear from patients.  The surgical procedure itself takes approximately one hour and is an outpatient procedure. The goal is to reduce the fullness in your lower cheeks by actually removing the fat pads. The end result will give you a slimmer, smoother cheek that has an overall look of a contoured facial silhouette.

When considering any type of facial plastic surgery, I always recommend to patients that they seek out a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Board certification in facial plastic surgery is imperative to achieving the right balance and harmony with your facial features. This is your face and it is certainly something you want a specialist to advise you about the results you can achieve. Also, a board certified facial plastic surgeon will be able to tell you if you are not a candidate for a procedure. Buccal fat pad removal is a surgery that requires a skilled, surgeon with an artistic eye to achieve the look you desire. My number one concern as a plastic surgeon is that I have a unified vision with my patients. 

I am providing a web link and a video to help you in your decision making process. I wish you the best and please reach out to our office in New York City if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Yes to bucca fat pad removal

There is no doubt you could benefit from buccal fat pad removal. 

It is important to get a good facial analysis to exactly pin down what you are looking for. Fat grafting in combination with fat pad removal can also help to extenuate the changes. 

You were exactly right saying that wide cheek bones don't help the changes you are looking for. At the same time high cheek bones are very soughtafter and we as surgeons love them because it can help to define other facial features.

Best of luck

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat reduction

Sienna, thank you for the pictures.  I gather that what you want is more contour and definition.  With your underlying facial structure, you can definitely benefit from buccal fat pad reduction - if this is what you seek.  Wide prominent cheek bones and a youthful jawline can be enhanced and get you the desired outcome by improving the contour in between them - and that is what buccal fat surgery would do.  I suggest when you go on your consultations you discuss this at length, as there are many pros and cons to buccal fat surgery - not every one is the same, and a physical exam is needed to cater your procedure to you.  Best of luck! You will do great. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon