I'm a 55 year old female with a beard - will Laser Hair Removal work for me?

I've got thick black/ white hair from neck to chin and sideburns & the corners of my mouth.A beard that if left unshaven for 1 day will show heavy B&W stubble with the white hairs thick and prickly. I'm so sick of shaving like a man! My cheeks (from nose leve up) are devoid of hair and my skin is in great shape. This began by waxing 4/5 long black hairs between my chin&neck, and the waxing led to more hair, which led to more waxing, on and on.Waxing no longer works AT ALL. HELP!

Laser Hair Modification

Thank you for your question. This is a common problem for many women. There are lasers that are FDA approved for all hair and skin colors. When you come for a consultation, all benefits and realistic expectations will be reviewed.

Best wishes

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Female Facial Hair Removal--Takes a series of treatments

Laser hair removal works well in this area. I suggest seeing an expert for a formal evaluation and treatment which can be combined with Vaniqa cream. Best, Dr. Emer.

55 yr old female with beard, will laser hair removal work?

Hello, thank you for your question. Laser hair removal is very effective for follicles with pigment in them, the ones that are white will not be effected.  The follicles must have pigment in them in order to be a target for the laser. You will get great results on the black hairs, but the white ones would have to be treated with electrolysis. Laser hair removal is a series of treatments, usually 6-8 treatments done 4 weeks apart in this area.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial hair black and gray

Laser hair removal will work only on the black hair. It will then make the gray hair more noticeable. It should help reduce the need for shaving though. It will take a series of 6 or more to get a good result.

Steven F. Weiner, MD