I'm 5'4 and weigh 197; how much weight do I need to lose to get a tummy tuck?

Weight, BMI for Tummy Tuck

Your current BMI is just under 34. It is best to wait until you are at or close to your preferred weight and have a BMI in the healthy range. As surgeons, we usually recommend a BMI of under 30 to perform the surgery, though the closer you are to your ideal weight for your height, the better your tummy tuck results. Maintain/stabilize your weight for up to six months before having your surgery. Contact a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person consultation to discuss the best options for you. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

BMI and tummy tuck

It is best to get to your goal weight or at least try to lower your BMI a bit.  With that, you will likely have a better result.

Weight and TT

Thank you for your question. Please loose weight to your goal. Best in your scenario may be around 40 pounds and reassess.

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards 

The more you lose the better

Thank you for your question. You have the right attitude in that you know that you need to lose weight prior to surgery in order to get the best result as well as to reduce you risk of complications. While getting down to 175 pounds will get your BMI down to 'the magic'  30, you will not get the best result unless you get well below this. My recommendation is that you get down to 155-160 at a minimum in order to reduce your risks as much as possible and to get the best result. Be patient. In the process you are making yourself healthier.  Good luck and be sure to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Safety first in surgical procedures

Thank you for your question. Different surgeons will have different thresholds for wanting to operate. The threshold I feel comfortable with is a BMI under 30. A lower BMI has been shown to decrease healing problems and surgical complications. Most important is the safety of our patients.  

Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

5'4 and weigh 197; how much weight do I need to lose to get a tummy tuck?

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California.

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

Weight loss before body contouring surgery is encouraged because your result will be better. Try to get close to your ideal body weight for your height and maintain it for a few months 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

It would be better to be seen in person to determine if a tummy tuck is appropriate. In some cases, it may be OK to do it. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS