Hello I'm a 50 year old woman who is considering a facelift.

I've noticed in the last few years extreme sagging in the upper part of my face and I've noticed my farrow brow lines protrude even when I'm not frowning. The lower part of my face is also starting to sag extremely due to my weight lose. I use to have long hair and I would wear my hair up in a pony tail so that my face would look nice and pulled back like a mini facelift but I've noticed after I cut my hair my face became very saggy and I'm also in need of a revision rhinoplasty.

Weight Loss Often Leads to Sagging Skin: Facelift Can Help

An unfortunate side effect of weight loss as we age is sagging skin that can make us look older. After all of the effort it took to get in shape, this seems like an unfair outcome. However, a facelift can not only lift the skin and underlying muscle, but remove excess skin. Performing a fat graft at the same time will restore volume to your cheeks for a real “wow” effect. You could also benefit from a brow lift and skin resurfacing. I hope this helps.

Facelift

Hi Sexcie

Thanks for posting both your question and your photo's.

If your skin is loose, sagging or creating the appearance of jowls you may be a good candidate for Concept™ Facelift Surgery. This type of Rhytidectomy is unique as the facelift is performed under local anaesthetic, and is less invasive than traditional methods, meaning the cosmetic surgery has a significantly faster recovery time.
The cosmetic procedure is similar to a mini facelift as it is performed with a short scar that runs in front of the ear, down to the ear lobe and tucked behind the ear. There will be no dressings or drains afterwards. This is performed as a day case, walk in-walk out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime.

Botulinum toxin, or more commonly known as botox, is an injectable anti wrinkle cosmetic treatment. Botulinum toxin is manufactured and used safely in small doses for the purpose of reducing fine lines and wrinkles on the face and neck. It blocks the chemical mechanism between a muscle and the nerve which controls it for several months. There are several products on the market (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Bocouture) and all of these are effective and safe anti wrinkle treatments.

For those who have excess fat under the chin but still have good muscle tone and skin, liposuction of the neck will be sufficient. If the skin has lost elasticity, removal of excess skin (Neck Lift Surgery) to tighten and tone the neck will also be required.

Do your homework and find a qualified and reputable surgeon.

Is a facelift the right procedure for me?

Hi Sexcie, you are a great candidate for a facelift. I would also recommend volume replacement such as a fat transfer to the cheeks, and a lower eyelid blepharoplasty to remove the bulging fat in the lower eyelids. This will result in a very natural, refreshed, more youthful appearance. Follow up with an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can give you options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 50

Thank you for the multiple photographs and congratulations on your weight loss!  You are an excellent candidate for a facelift, with an emphasis on restoring volume to your face with fat transfer to counteract the effects of your weight loss.  The very thick muscle between your eyebrows (the paired corrugator muscles) would respond well to a neuromodulator like Botox, and with ongoing use, will cause them to thin out.  Best wishes to you for a beautiful result! 

Good candidate for facelift and blepharoplasty.

From the photographs alone I think you'd be an excellent candidate for a facelift. This will translocate the malar fat to a more youthful position. At the same time I would recommend lower eyelid surgery with fat distribution into the tear trough area. Upper eyelid surgery would be a consideration as well.

Face lift and revision rhinoplasty

Hi thanks for sharing your concern you will benefit from face lift and volume restoration of the face by fat fill and platysmal plication to address the platysmal band seen in your pic  which will contour your neck.regarding the glabellar lines botox suggested finally.to refine your nose a revision rhinoplasty can be undertaken after discussing your desire with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to surgery.wishing you good luck.

Mini facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photographs, you would be a good candidate for a minifacelift and revisional rhinoplasty. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Considering a facelift and revision rhinoplasty

There is not one procedure that would address all of your concerns, but volume replacement, especially in your cheeks up near your eyes, with fat injections and a face/neck lift for the lower face are definite options. Botox helps to soften the glabellar creases between your brows, but if they are very obvious when not animating, it might not give a dramatic effect. Your brow position looks nice in your photos so a brow lift, which has a more dramatic effect on this area may be overkill, and an exam is needed.
If you are interested in revising your rhinoplasty try to get old records (op reports and photos) if they are available. That would be very helpful for your surgeon at any consultation.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

A facelift might be of benefit. You also might benefit from strategic placement of fat into the face. Best of luck.

Facelift

A facelift will help the saggy lower face but will not improve your glabellar frown lines. That is an issue for Botox injections. You would have to be more specific about nasal concerns.