5 weeks post breast augmentation. Do my breast look normal? I feel like they are not dropping. (photos)

5 weeks post breast augmentation. Do my breast look normal? I feel like they are not dropping.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.
From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play. 
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You are still fairly early in your surgical course. Your breast will continue to change over the next few months. I would continue to be patient. 

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

5 weeks post breast augmentation.

You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery

Regards.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Implants

They look like they are descending, but will likely require more time to settle completely. Best of luck with your results.

Too early

You are still too early in the post operative period to make any decisions.  Your breasts will change over the up and coming weeks and months.  You will also become more comfortable with them as well.  Hang in there and continue to share your concerns with you plastic surgeon.  Best of luck!

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

Too Soon

It's too early to judge their appearance. When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

Should you still be concerned after 2-4 months, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

All the best.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. At five weeks the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.
As your swelling resolves you should see an improved natural appearance.  I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Not dropping

From your photos, at two weeks post surgery everything looks okay to me. Everybody heals at different rates and sometimes one breast will get ahead of the other and that's acceptable. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

5 weeks breast surgery

You are still very early from surgery. It takes 4-6 months for the implants to drop and see your results.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon