1 week post op after Smart Lipo. No change in shape on lower abdomen. Will my muffin top go away?

I had smartlipo done on my upper/lower abdomen, love handles, lower/upper back and flanks. My surgery was exactly 1 week ago today. I don't remember the exact amount of fat taken Our but it was a lot. soreness and bruising has started to subside. Im swollen and have been wearing my compression garment 24/7. I don't see a change in shape...at all. Specifically on my lower abdomen/waist. It's always been a muffin top. My surgeon suggested smart lipo. I know results take time but will this go away?

Smart Lipo

It is important to be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon because they are most familiar with your anatomy and procedure. Swelling occurs in all patients after smartlipo and can take up to 3-4 months to resolve. Not every patient heals at the same rate, some heal quicker and some heal slower than others but it is important to remember that you will probably look bigger before you look smaller and that is simply due to swelling. Be sure to wear your compression garment for the period your surgeon recommends and follow a high protein, low sodium diet to help aid recovery and reduce water retention. It is also important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for optimal results. I hope this helps.  Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

You need to be more patient

it often can take 2months before you see any improvement and you will continue to improve for 6 months - so you need to be patient. 

also there is no magic. I have done over 620 Smartlipo cases in the office and the best results are always in those patients who also increase their exercising and improve their diets.

good luck, you should be pleased with your Smartlipo in time

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo results

Thanks for your question. This is a common question asked after SmartLipo. Optimal results from Smart Lipo may take up to 6 months. The healing process involves swelling and bruising and may last several weeks. Be patient in the process and follow up with your doctor in a couple of months. Hope this helps. Best in your recovery, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Thanks for your question and what you need to remember is that you had an invasive laser treatment and ?liposuction to the areas that were treated.  One week post-treatment is not a lot of time for the swelling to all go down and with this procedure you need to wait 3-6 months to see the ultimate outcome.  The one concern here to me is that you are even asking this question – which means that your surgeon may not have gone over all of the procedure with us, did not give you appropriate post-operative instructions, or has not set realistic expectations. As also noted, having non-invasive RF skin tightening procedures starting about one month after the procedure can aide in the overall process. If you have any questions post SmartLipo, you should connect with your provider to get the answers that you should have already had.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo Recovery!

Smartlipo is a minimally invasive procedure where a laser goes underneath the skin and melts the fat in the desired areas, tightens the skin, and suctions the fat out of your body. It kills 60-70% of your fat cells in the area of treatment. Their is a healing process that has to be understood when you receive smartlipo. You see your best results with smartlipo at 90 days (3 months). We are still going underneath your skin which can cause some minimal bruising and swelling- You have to give your body time to heal just like if you received a bruise on your knee. at 1 week you will still be swollen from the procedure. Just wait a few more weeks drink lots of water, give it time and  be patient, and you will start to see some GREAT results and your best at 90 days! I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

It takes a few months to see the results of lipo or smart lipo

One week out is still very early after lipo and you can expect to have significant swelling all around the areas that were treated. Massage and compression garments help to control the swelling and speed up it's resolution, but it still takes time. Until then you will see swelling, but it's not fat that has magically regrown and the swelling is not permanent. Be patient. Your results will improve over time.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Exilis Ultra/Cellutone or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Typically it takes 3-6 months to see the final outcome from liposuction although with a VASER hi definition procedure you typically see a dramatic improvement immediately.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Smart lipo swelling

Thank you for your question. You are in  early phase of healing and the swelling is norm at this stage. Please follow instructions from your PS and re evaluate after 3 months.

Smart lipo

You are extremely early in the healing process. It can take several weeks to months for swelling, bruising, etc to subside and show results.Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.