3 Years After Severe Weight Loss. Tummy Tuck Time?

I was 375lbs in 2008, at the tender age of 16. I lost weight (up to 190lbs) and started lifting weights, now I am at 230lbs. My question is, is it time for a tummy tuck, or do I need to lower my bodyfat before it is advisable? I plan on getting the loose skin around my chest fixed too. You can see the loose skin is around the lower abdominal region, it hangs off the waist above my hip bones/lower back area. It goes all the way to my belly button and forms some sort of "loose skin gut".

Tummy tuck vs belt lipectomy

Thank you for your question. A consultation would help determine which of the following procedures is the right one for you:

1) Traditional tummy tuck: Reduces a great amount of skin laxity, tightens the abdominal wall muscles and keeps the incision hidden in the underwear line.
2) An extended tummy tuck: Same as a tummy tuck, but helps to reduce more skin laxity around the flanks.
3) A corset tummy tuck: Adds a vertical scar and breast fold scar, but reduces a significant amount of vertical skin laxity in addition to the horizontal skin laxity and creates the most hour-glass type figure. Downside is more visible scar
4) A belt lipectomy (or lower body lift) helps lift the outer thighs and buttock in addition to the benefits of an extended tummy tuck.

Options 3 and 4 usually have a significant amount of skin laxity that is being addressed. Liposuction is usually added to all of the procedures to help improve the results. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can spend time with you to explain the different options in more detail.

Massive weight loss in a male and options for correction

Congratulations on achieving your goals. A staged approach would likely be required and may involve a circumferential belt lipectomy followed by a breast reduction which may require skin removal as well.

Lose as much weight as possible before tummy tuck.

At 230 lbs. you're still overweight. You will get a better result if you get to 'rock bottom; before the tummy tuck. If you can't lose more weight, doing the tummy tuck now will still help.

You should also consider having several areas on your body done at the same time.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss

It really depends on you and where you want to be.  If you are happy ath the weight you are at and feel that you can maintain this weight for the future then go for it.  If you tell me that you still want to lose some weight, then I would say you should wait for now and get to the weight that you are comfortable at.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Decide on goal body weight prior to body contouring surgery

Ask yourself what a reasonable body weight would be- not your 'ideal' body weight, but a weight you could maintain the rest of your life. Once you've reached that weight, consult a board certified plastic surgeon with some experience in post-weightloss body contouring procedures.

When is the time for a tummy tuck?

2906anon,
congratulations on loosing the weight and getting into shape!  Looking at your pictures you seems to have done a tremendous job.
The question of when is the time for tummy tuck is best answered by this:  when your weight has stabilized.  If you are going to loose any more significant amount of weight, you will once again develop excess loose skin that will require a second tummy tuck.
Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD