It Has Been Almost a Year Since Breast Reduction Surgery...I Went from 38 F to 36 C. My Question is About the Shape?

Breast Reduction 1 year ago.... wondering if the under arm disfigurement where stitches ended can be fixed ...and also if the flat part of my breast will ever build up muscle.

With very careful planning and execution, “dog ear" occurrence can be minimized. Occasionally (despite best efforts), after breast reduction surgery surgery, patients will have excess skin or adipose tissue at the very end of their incision lines. These may be referred to as “dog ears”. "Dog ears"  refer to a bunching up of tissue at the end of a incision line/scar. Generally they occur  because a surgeon,  in his/her attempt to keep the scar as short as possible,  has a discrepancy between the lengths  of the upper and lower breast reduction incision lines. They can be avoided by extending the incisions and removing additional skin and subcutaneous tissue. Most patients will much prefer a longer incision line than  the bunching up of tissue and contour elevation, which is visible and palpable with and without clothing.  Often, excision of the dog ear, if it's still a concern roughly one year postoperatively can be corrected easily under local anesthesia. I hope this helps.

Shape of breast after reduction surgery

The breast shape changes are quite dramatic after breast reduction surgery.  In large reductions the breast can assume a "boxy" shape.  It also common to have "dog ears" at the end of the incisions in the armpit area.  Talk with your plastic surgeon about some revisional procedures that may be needed to improve your result.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon