I got a tummy tuck and lipo; it's been 3 weeks already and I still have my belly button stitches?

Can I leave in the other 4 stitches and let my belly button desolve them?

Thank you for your question. When extra no sutures stay in place for two long, they are more likely to leave permanent scar. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon, so that can decide whether the sutures should be removed. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Suture removal

Thank you for the question.  Generally, the longer that sutures remain in (external sutures) the higher the likelihood that you will have a suture mark or scar associated with the suture.  You can imagine the suture as a piercing.  Eventually, its going to form a scar tract and some external scarring.  I would touch base with your plastic surgeon and let him/her know about the sutures.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Healing after a Tummy Tuck

You should follow up with your plastic surgeon for the best answer since he/she knows what type of sutures (stitches) were used, and when they should be removed or if they will dissolve on their on.

Best Wishes!