Labiaplasty healing and itching. Is this normal?

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op from labiaplasty. I've followed all Dr's post op instructions. I'm feeling itchy similar to a yeast infection. I was only on antibiotics during surgery. I took a Diflucan 2 days ago. Just wondering if this is normal during healing

Labiaplasty

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that ONLY performs Labiaplasty.  This is my wheelhouse and is a very niche procedure that I perform. Many patients experience itching after the procedure.  This can be a yeast infection or just the healing tissue.  Often, healing tissue can become itchy. Consult with your surgeon to be sure.

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. In regards to your itching or other issues it would be a good idea to visit your plastic surgeon to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck!

thank you for your question.
ItchingAnd discomfort is common after a labiaplasty procedure. I recommend all my patients apply bacitracin or even twice a day to the surgical wound area and I often prescribe hydroxyzine orally for the itching

Probably Normal

If the itching is only external, in the region of the surgical incision, then it is likely just from inflammation from the normal healing process and breakdown of absorbable sutures.  If it is accompanied with a white-yellow vaginal discharge, then could be a yeast infection.  If you are in doubt, then I would recommend a trip in to see your surgeon, as an examination should be able to differentiate between the two.

Itching after labiaplasty

Itching after labiaplasty is common both from the skin changes with healing, and from your hair growing back if you shaved, etc. prior to your surgery. I give all my operative patients a cannister of "Dermaplast Spray" to use for minor surface pain and itching after their LP. Yes, it could be a yeast infection, but most likely just healing/hair re-growing. If in doubt, ask your surgeon! And but some Dermaplast.
Regards,
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA.

Post op itching often quite normal

Thank you for your question. Although developing a yeast infection following any antibiotic use is possible, it is important to see your doctor to be sure. Itching also often occurs as suture material dissolves. Sits baths can help soothe the itchiness. This typically resolved within 4-6 weeks.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty healing and itching.

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty.  It is normal to have some itching during the healing process whether the body's own response or as a result of a reaction to the absorbable suture material typically used.  That said if you feel the itching is similar to a yeast infection it would be best to see your surgeon for an in-person examination as a yeast infection can impact your ability to heal the incisions.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty and itching

Hello, It is not uncommon for patients to experience itching after labiaplasty, unrelated to infection. Dryness can lead to such symptoms and can be alleviated with ointments(Bacitracin) as well as Sitz baths with calming agents. Avoiding synthetic fabrics that may irritate the region are also helpful.  Regards, Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Itching after labiaplasty

A lot of the times itching could be part of the normal healing process. However, infection can be causing it as well. I would strongly advise that you see you surgeon and get things checked. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist