30 year old implants front of muscle removed. Can I do a lift and put new implants in with one surgery?

If I remove 30 yr old implants ...silicone. Front of muscle. Not real big. Can't remember how many cc. Maybe 300 no problems with them. Just sagging a bit. If I remove do i have to wait at least six months before putting new silicone implants in behind the muscle. Not going bigger Can I remove and put new implants in and do a lift all in one surgery ?

Breast revision and lift

The answer for what to do depends on the level of your sagging or ptosis.  If your ptosis is mild, then everything can probably be done in 1 setting.  If it is more severe, then I'd recommend doing it in at least 2 stages.  Basically, if it's more severe, we'd need to determine if you need a lift, and the first step would be to remove the implant and see if your breast recoils over the next couple months.  If it doesn't, then you'd need a lift with or without an aug at the same time.  

When changing from subglandular to submuscular

you can have it all done at one time.  The capsule is easily removed when above the muscle and the new pocket easily created.  Must use caution with the lateral pocket at it has a tendency to be excessive and your implants then fall into your armpits when on your back.  If you've gained some weight and have adequate tissue, you could simply have a lift and avoid all the potential problems that come with implants.

Curtis Wong, MD

Lift and New Submuscular Implants

Thanks for your question! I'd need to see photos to specifically address your concern, but in my experience of doing hundreds of these types of surgeries, yes! You should be able to do everything in one stage. Some plastic surgeons do recommend doing this complex revision in two stages; I rarely recommend that, as I'd rather Try to achieve everything in one "go to sleep" operation, then do any remaining small revisions in the office under local anesthesia. Again, I'd need to see your specific photos before I "put the cart ahead of the horse", and of course would always recommend what is safe and achievable for your needs. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

30 year old breast implants

It all depends on how much sagging is present. Another issue is nipple sensation. Do you have any? If you do, then you are a better candidate for a full breast lift that will reshape and reposition your breasts high on your chest. Your own tissues will be used to create upper pole fullness without needing to replace breast implants. Take a look at my gallery of before and after pics to see what can now be achieved without vertical incisions and without the risks/complications and maintenance associated with breast implants.  Attached is an example of a woman who underwent The Horndeski Method breast lift without implants. I hope this helps. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift May be Beneficial with Revision

Yes, you can do a breast lift with implant #replacement. In fact, the most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.

With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. 

Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct height may also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation with Lift

Thank you for your question. You would first need a physical exam by a board certified plastic surgeon. I have performed a lot of these procedures at once. When performing a breast enlargement, I use the bloodless breast enlargement technique which I invented. Bleeding is minimal, typically there is no bruising after surgery, and recovery is a lot quicker versus traditional technique. There are three major types of breast lifts. They all can reduce the size of your areola. They are called donut lift, lollipop lift and anchor lift. These can be performed at the same time as a breast enlargement. For more information please see the enclosed video and I hope you find this helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Breast implant exchange with simultaneous lift

Yes, you should be able to do this.  However, depending on how much sagging you have, that may be a factor too.  The advantage of doing it in 1 surgery is just that... 1 surgery, 1 recovery, 1 anesthetic.  But, doing it in 2 stages sometimes offers the advantage of having better control over the outcome, tighter lift, more control of the new implant location.  It would be best for you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options after a full exam.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Pocket change and lift in one surgery

Thank you for your question.  While it is possible to exchange your implants, change from a subglandular to submuscular pocket, and lift your breasts all in one procedure, you must be considered a candidate for the combination of these procedures based on a complete examination.  Depending on the thickness of your breast tissue and the degree of breast droop, the risk of performing a lift with the implant and pocket change may compromise your blood supply and increase your risk for poor healing or skin loss.  I recommend that you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons experienced in these procedures to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Removing, replacing implants and lift in one surgery?

Yes, you should be able to remove and replace your implants and have a lift in one surgery assuming that you are healthy, don't smoke, and your skin quality is good.  Occasionally, under certain circumstances, some surgeons may recommend staging these procedures.  I would definitely recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and what would be best for you.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Single or Staged Surgeries

You could most likely have a single stage reconstruction, but photos and better yet an in-person exam will really be needed to come up with a plan that works for you.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS