Can Something Go Wrong 2 Years Post Op Rhinoplasty?

i am 2 years post rhinoplasty and i was wondering if anything could ruin my results at this point for example smoking, or picking it my nose, minor bumps every now and then or wearing sunglasses, am i okay to do pretty much anything at this point?

Smoking after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question. You should absolutely consult with your physician about your smoking habits in order to obtain the most reliable and individualized medical advice. Most specialists recommend abstaining from smoking for 2-3 weeks before a rhinoplasty, while others may insist on a full month or two. Smoking will cause irritation and restrict the blood flow to your healing areas, possibly causing complications during the recovery period.   

In addition, you should also make sure to avoid smoking for at least two weeks after surgery as it may interfere with your healing process. Smoking after surgery may restrict the flow of blood to the healing areas, exacerbate swelling, and prolong recovery. Of course, as a physician, I would advise you to quit smoking altogether due to a variety of health risks associated with it. Thus, if you managed to avoid smoking for 2 years, I'd say that there's no reason to start again even if it poses no risk to your rhinoplasty results.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain expert medical advice. Best of luck!

You are unlikely to have an major problems but may still see small changes

In most cases, by 2 years the majority of the swelling has resolved and the nose is structurally fairly stable.  In all likelihood if any major problems were to happen, they would have already surfaced.  I doubt that any of the things you list could "ruin" your results.  I do advise patients, however, to avoid high trauma activities if they can help it long term.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon