Do you know what is wrong with my left eye? It's is clearly much larger than my right eye. (photo)

I started noticing about 4 months ago that my left eye was much more larger than my right eye. Does this have a fix? Sometimes I feel a bit of a pulse.

Doctor Answers 4

Asymmetry eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is definite asymmetry of your eyes but I cannot tell what the problem is from the 2D photos, with you looking down. It is possible one eye is more bulgy or sunken than the other, which can happen from a variety of different disorders. It could also be an eyelid problem. Recommend seeing an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Asymmetric eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If in fact the asymmetry is recent and progressive, this should be evaluated by your doctor immediately and you should have a CT or MRI of orbits done to rule out a growth such as lacrimal gland tumor. Generally thyroid related issues such as grave's orbitopathy will be bilateral and symmetric. From the limited, non-clinical pictures you've provided there is a suggestion of a mass in the left upper orbit that may be pushing the upper lid out and the orbit down, making the eye seem bigger on the left side. Also, if there are any symptoms such as pain, double vision, dry eye etc. you should have a thorough opthalmalogic assessment.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possibly thyroid related eye disease

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This problem could be related to thyroid disease, or possibly other eye socket related issue. Or it could a normal asymmetry between the eyes that you just recently noticed.

You would need a consultation with an Oculoplastics surgeon, who may order CT scan of your orbits [eye socket] to determine if there is any anatomic problem.

I have posted a link below to find a good one near you in Arizona.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Recommend that you get assessed by an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The most common cause for one eye to be bigger than another is a condition called thyroid eye disease. The specialist will take a history and assess what is going on. Special tests may be indicated. This will help them determine what is precisely going on.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.