As you can see my eyelids are asymmetrical. What is Wrong with my Eyelids? (photo)

As you can see my eyelids are asymmetrical. But where exactly is the problem ?Is it something that can be corrected ? How much will the treatment cost ? I've heard of something called ptosis. But is that the problem with me ?

Doctor Answers 4

Ptosis and Overcompensation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have ptosis on the left only and your brain is reading this and the message to your right eye is to hyper open.  I did a patient like this last week.   You can see improvement with  redness re-leaver  eye drops in left only or Lopid drops  (again left only)used for paralysis with Botox.    This stimulate Mullers muscle and temporarily but dramatically corrects both sides.   I bet you left eyebrow is also elevated.   Again your brains attempts at better vision.    In addition you have profound scleral   (white) show of the lower lid area (left worse than right again).  Do something here only after the  left ptosis correction.   All may be corrected simply with the left ptosis correction which is the only operation you need at this point.    This will be covered by insurance because ptosis is covered as well as visual obstruction.   If the white still shows possible a canthoplasty or more ( graft) will be needed.    My Best   Dr C.

Upper eyelid asymmetry can be corrected via surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your upper eyelid creases are different, and it appears as if you may have mild ptosis (eyelid droop) causing the apparent asymmetry. You should have an ophthalmologist evaluate your eyes, vision, and eyelid areas, and get an opinion about what surgical correction is recommended. If everything checks out OK from a vision standpoint, you should also consider consultation with one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who are experienced in eyelid surgery. Cosmesis of the final result is as important as function, once function is determined to be normal or surgically correctable.

Costs will be available when you determine the surgical approach needed, and choose the specialist who will perform your surgery. BTW, this may be considered reconstructive in nature, and may be covered by your insurance carrier. Ask your consultants. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 263 reviews

Drooping upper eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like you have ptosis of the left upper eyelid and are elevating the right upper eyelid to reflexively compensate for it. Depending on physical examination findings you may be able to correct this by removing some tissue via an incision on the under surface of that upper eyelid.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral Ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unilateral (one sided) ptosis (droop) actually affects both eyelids because of levator neuro-compensation.  Ophthalmic examination with possible ophthalmic topical eye drops, Dysport or Cosmetic Surgery may be needed for your condition.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.